OT; Latest update on Allis
  Re: (...)
Since Allis (the girl with thyroid cancer, about whom I've reported periodically, here) has been doing so well, her visits to the States are now only twice a year and have been more eventful for weather delays, and the like, than for anything medical.

No problems were found on her recent visit and, almost 16, now, she continues to grow like a weed (I guess Synthroid really DOES help - LOL!).

Even though the NIH still provides for the airfare, along with any tests, medications or treatments that they give, we still have about $800/year of expenses on this end - half of that for the local side of the travel and the other half for lab tests that the NIH asks us to have done half-way between trips.

Unfortunately, a group of ENT doctors who used to come here every May not only stopped coming last year (due to their own budget problems and since their insurance stopped covering them in Honduras, because of the reported levels of violence), but also stopped giving us the money to pay for the the tests and local travel. At the time, someone at the NIH found a one-time source of SOME money that they were able to send us, but that was only available once and if we get all the tests that they want in July, that will leave us about $40 short for being able to get Allis and her mother to the airport for their next trip in October.

If any of you know of any organisations that help with this kind of thing, please send me a PM and let me know. This isn't for the flight's, themselves, but for the costs of buses and taxis for them to get to and from the airport, for the "airport taxes" and other fees, and for some cash they can use to eat in the U.S. airport while waiting for their connecting flights. It's also for a battery of medical laboratory tests, such as typical "blood work," thyroid levels, etc. at a local clinic between the actual trips to the States. I can receive some funds, myself, if necessary, but I am not a doctor nor part of any non-profit group, so the money could be sent to my doctor friend, here (who currently holds the funds that we do have), instead, if necessary. The main thing is that it would be for medical and local-travel expenses, but NOT for the actual flights (thus, the organisations that pay for airline tickets for cancer patients are not helpful, in this case).

Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT; Latest update on Allis by labradors (Since Allis (the gir...)
Very happy to hear her progress is going so well. I don't know of anything/one here that could help. But what about setting up a page where folks could make donations? Not just for her, but for the program itself and future children?
  Re: Re: OT; Latest update on Allis by DFen911 (Very happy to hear h...)
Good idea, Denise. Something with a PayPal button that'd make donations simple?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: OT; Latest update on Allis by farnfam (Good idea, Denise. S...)
My old website just wasn't getting anywhere. Even when I did work on it, the most activity it received was from registration/Spam bots. After a while, I spent less and less time on it and even wound up losing the "cookingtheworld.com" domain due to not renewing it.

My doctor friend, here (who has been the one in charge of the money for Allis, so far), may already have a way of receiving funds and I'm currently waiting for a response from him to see if there would already be a more direct way to contribute, rather than just going through me.

I'll post more information as soon as I find out. If there's already a way that individuals can donate directly so that it would be earmarked for Allis, it would be better than setting up a separate webpage.

Also, she is at the point where she is doing very well on the medicine for which her treatment is a clinical trial, and nothing really changes from visit to visit (i.e. no news is good news), so a separate webpage wouldn't have many updates.
  Re: Re: OT; Latest update on Allis by labradors (My old website just ...)
What about making a Facebook page for her and donations could be made directly to the hospital earmarked for her? This way folks won't think it's a scam and be more inclined to donate?
  Re: Re: OT; Latest update on Allis by DFen911 (What about making a ...)
The thing is: there ISN'T such a hospital. Her treatment is part of a clinical trial of a medication through the National Cancer Institute of the National Institutes of Health. Everything on THAT end is provided by the NCI/NIH at no charge.

The expenses we need to cover are as follows:
  • "Lawyer's letter: Honduras requires any minors who are not travelling with both parents to present, at the airport, a notarised letter that bears the signatures of both parents and saying that it is okay with them that the minor is travelling with only one parent (or with someone else). Since only Allis' mother accompanies her, the letter is necessary and that is $35 per trip.
  • Bus fare for the six-hour bus ride from their town (Sabá) to the city where the airport is (San Pedro Sula) and then in the reverse direction for when they get home. That's a total of $42 per trip.
  • Taxi fare (not at all as expensive as U.S. taxis) from the bus terminal to the airport and then in the reverse direction when they get home. That's a total of $21 per trip.
  • The "airport departure tax" that Honduras charges every outgoing airline passenger in order to raise money for the maintenance of the airports. That's $37 per passenger, per trip - thus $74.
  • Cash for Allis and her mother to use for meals at the airports, considering they have to leave their home about 3AM to get to the airport and don't get to DC until about 10:30PM. That's $40 per trip.
Then there are the lab tests at a local clinic that the NIH wants halfway between trips (i.e. three months after the last trip and three months before the next trip and trips are six months apart) these include various blood work, especially thyroid levels, etc., as well as a physical (with blood-pressure reading) and and EKG. These come out to about $175.

That makes the grand total of each trip/lab combination $387 and that takes place twice a year, so it's $774 per year.

None of these things are actually payable by or through the NIH - nor any "hospital," for that matter. In fact, none of those who ultimately need to be paid - not even the clinic that does the lab tests - will accept credit cards.
  Re: Re: OT; Latest update on Allis by labradors (The thing is: there ...)
One of our church members is a part of a group that is like Doctors Without Borders. I'll check with him and see if he knows of anyone or anything.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT; Latest update on Allis by Gourmet_Mom (One of our church me...)
I'm glad that Allis is doing well now, but sorry to hear that this is an ongoing problem for her and possibly for many other people as well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."