Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos
  Re: (...)
Because of our schedule, our Cinco de Mayo dinner was a day early (Quatro de Mayo???). I thought I'd post this recipe because, for years, it has been a favorite.

I use any dark beer that I have on hand (tonight was Yuengling Bock), and add chopped tomatoes to the guacamole.

Beer-Marinated Chicken Tacos

Recipe from Webers Real Grilling
Prep time 20 minutes
Grilling time 8 to 10 minutes

Marinade
1 cup dark Mexican beer
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (can use Greek oregano)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or ground chipotle
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs

Guacamole
2 ripe Hass avocados
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

8 corn tortillas

In a small bowl whisk the marinade ingredients. Place the chicken in a large, plastic, lidded container and pour the marinade over. Turn the chicken to coat with marinade and for 2 to 4 hours, turning the chicken occasionally.

Scoop the avocado flesh into a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and salt. Using a fork, mash the ingredients together. Cover with plastic wrap, placing it directly on the surface to prevent browning, and refrigerate until about 1 hour before serving.

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).

Remove the chicken and discard the marinade. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the meat is firm and the juices run clear, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the chicken into thin strips.

Warm the tortillas over direct medium heat for about 1 minute, turning once. Pile the sliced chicken inside the tortillas. Top each with a spoonful of guacamole. Serve warm.

Serves 4
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos by foodfiend (Because of our sched...)
Interesting. I've never tried a beer marinade for poultry - only for beef or pork.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos by labradors (Interesting. I've n...)
And, sesame oil - how interesting!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos by cjs (And, sesame oil - ho...)
That is kind of an odd recipe with the beer and sesame oil! Let us know how it turns out if you do it.
  Re: Re: Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos by Trixxee (That is kind of an o...)
I wondered about that, too, but it sounds like it turned out very well, considering that Vicci said that "for years, it has been a favorite."
  Re: Re: Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos by labradors (I wondered about tha...)
Oops, completely missed that Vicci has made it before. I must need more coffee.
  Re: Re: Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos by Trixxee (Oops, completely mis...)
Can't do this right now, but when I do try it, I'll use the thighs, the chipotle and THIS oregano.
  Re: Re: Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos by labradors (Can't do this right ...)
Yep, this recipe is a standard for us because it is so very good. I thought initially that the sesame oil and Mexican oregano was an odd combo, but it works great (wonder who thought of that one?).

I like to put the chicken in the marinade in the morning and let it absorb the flavors all day, but even an hour marinating makes it delicious.

And, I don't know if this is something I should do, but I'll save the uncooked marinade and freeze it, using it one more time. There doesn't seem to be a difference in flavor, and since it marinates raw chicken which is then cooked, I don't think that there is a problem. We haven't died yet, but should I not do this?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com