Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2
  Re: (...)
Here is what I selected so far. Still might add either a dessert or a cocktail to go with.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken & Bacon Burritos with chipotle dressing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 strips thick-sliced bacon -- diced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts -- sliced into strips, seasoned with salt and black pepper
3 cups romaine lettuce -- shredded
1/2 cup grape tomatoes -- halved
1/2 cup cucumber -- seaded and sliced
1/3 cup purchased ranch dressing
2 teaspoons diced chipotle in adobo sauce
4 10-inch flour tortillas

Cook bacon in a saute pan over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. drippings.

Saute chicken in drippings in same pan over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through, 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, tent with foil, and let rest 3 minutes.

Combine romaine, tomatoes, cucumber and bacon in a bowl. Mix together ranch dressing and chipotle; toss with salad mixture and chill until ready to serve.

Heat tortillas in a large skillet, 1 minute per side.

To serve, divide chicken among tortillas, top with salad mixture, and roll tortilla over filling. Cut burritos in half on a diagonal and serve.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Magazine, issue no. 97, page 49"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mexican Rice with green peas

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup onion -- diced
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
2 1/2 teaspoons jalapeno -- minced
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup converted dry rice
1/2 cup Roma tomatoes -- chopped
1/2 cup frozen green peas -- thawed
salt and black pepper to taste

Saute onion, tomato paste, jalapeno, garlic and cumin in oil in a saucepan over medium heat, 2 minutes.

Add broth, rice and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove rice from heat.

Stir in peas, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and season with salt and pepper.

Source:
"Cuisine Tonight for Two, page 89"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by Mare749 (Here is what I selec...)
The first recipe sounds more like a salad wrap than a burrito. Why even bother with a separate "salad" recipe? It's redundant. The meal IS missing rice, though, and that would be a good side for it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by labradors (The first recipe sou...)
The burrito (or wrap if you will) sounds very good and I think I had this one marked to make at some point. Sounds very summery!

I think I am tending to agree with Labs about the need to have a separate slaw recipe in addition to the lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers that are in the burrito. I do like the idea of rice (I have been putting rice inside every burrito lately no matter what kind of burrito it is). I think I'm Chipotle or something.

I'm in for the burrito part anyway!
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by Trixxee (The burrito (or wrap...)
Yes, I think you are both right. I'll save the slaw recipe for another meal and will post a rice recipe shortly. Funny, that's what I wanted to do in the first place and kept changing my mind.

Edited to add:
See above menu change
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by Mare749 (Yes, I think you are...)
Now I can't find my issue. Oh well, I'll just print it out from here. The rice sounds good Maryann!
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by Trixxee (Now I can't find my ...)
Sounds great, Maryann.
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by labradors (Sounds great, Maryan...)
I'm in!! I'm so glad you chose a menu, Maryann!!

Looking the recipe over, I think I'll only make one small change - with the beautiful grilling weather here, I think I'll brush the chicken with bacon grease ( ) and grill it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by cjs (I'm in!! I'm so glad...)
Of course! I like that idea. I think this is one Bob can make for us. I HATE working nights. It sucks.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by Harborwitch (Of course! I like t...)
Should this, perhaps, be "stickied" until the due date?
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner---reviews due June 2 by labradors (Should this, perhaps...)
Yes!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com