Memorial Day Plans??
  Re: (...)
Can we handle another 'sticky'????

What's everyone doing for Memorial Day?? I'm disappointed my b'day is on Tuesday this year - not during the holiday!!!!

For sure on the list is the old family favorite Asian Ribs and corn on the cob.

Saw this on F&W newsletter the other day and sure sounds good AND it is a Grace Parisi recipe.

Seafood Tostada Bites

Two 8-inch flour tortillas
1 cup vegetable oil
4 Tbs unsalted butter
1 leek, white and pale green parts, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
24 shelled and deveined small shrimp (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 lb sea scallops, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 lb lump crabmeat
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 Tbs minced parsley

1. On a cutting board, cut the tortillas into 24 triangles, about 3/4 inch. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the tortilla triangles and fry until golden, 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tortillas to a paper towel–lined plate.

2. In a large, deep skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the shrimp, scallops and crab and season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and simmer just until the shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the seafood to a bowl. Add the parsley and the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and simmer until the liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Return the seafood to the pan and toss to coat.

3. Spoon the seafood into Chinese soup spoons or shot glasses, garnish with the tortilla triangles and serve at once.

4. Make Ahead The fried tortilla triangles can be kept overnight in an airtight container. The cooked seafood can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Suggested Pairing - Light, nectariney Pinot Grigio.

Source: Grace Parisi , F&W 5/21/13

[Image: 200910-r-seafood-tostada_zps269549f1.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by cjs (Can we handle anothe...)
We are going to spend Saturday with our girls out in Geneva. There is a winery across the street from their campground that has lovely outdoor seating and good food. So, we are all going there for my birthday party. Beyond that, no plans yet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by Mare749 (We are going to spen...)
Derek and I are heading to S CA to visit my folks and celebrate moms bday (may 4th), Mother's Day and Memorial Day. We go visit all the cemeteries and put flowers out for our family and have lunch. Also visiting our old neighbors and going to a new restaurant that is all fondu
  Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by cjs (Can we handle anothe...)
That looks really good Jean.

I don't know what we're doing, I think it will depend on what Bob and Jeff want to do. I'll be working 8's Fri Sat Sun & Mon I'm sure. Sheesh. Not sure the weather is going to cooperate. Maybe I can get them to make chili.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by Harborwitch (That looks really go...)
Here is an idea I came across if anyone is looking for a potato salad that isn't potato salad.

http://noblepig.com/2013/05/old-bay-cauliflower-salad/
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by Trixxee (Here is an idea I ca...)
Saw that - does sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by cjs (Saw that - does soun...)
We're going to do Cornish Game Hens on the spit. I wonder if I can brine them. Has anyone done that to game hens?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by BarbaraS (We're going to do Co...)
Yes and Yes - Have found they don't really need it, but it does help a little with the juiciness (sp?)

----
Well, I'm in a quandry - Monday is Memorial Day (it is cemented in my ever-lovin' mind now!) and Tuesday is my b'day. Two 'special' meals in two days???? I'll be too heavy for my bike!!

But, Monday will be:
Seafood Tostada Bites (I posted the recipe above)
Asian-style Ribs

I was going to make the Asian (minus the)Chicken & Cabbage salad that Karyn posted, but we both just loved the Cold Noodle salad we had earlier this week and it has an Asian slant, so will go with it.

And, since there will be Rice Krispie Ice Cream Cake left in 4 days - that will be dessert.

Lorraine, this is written in stone, so don't post any of your usual last minute ideas that screw me up!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by cjs (Yes and Yes - Have f...)
I think I finally have a partial plan for Monday - that is if Costco has it. We're going to grill a boneless leg of lamb and I'd like to make that Noble Pig pasta salad recipe with the mango and scallions and lime vinaigrette. Still need some other stuff but it's a start.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans?? by Trixxee (I think I finally ha...)
Your Seafood Tostado Bites may have to be on my Father's Day menu. Let me know how they are, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.