Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Cuban Sandwiches here. I have never been a 'pickle' on a sandwich person, but I'm caving in and will add B&B pickles to mine today - can't go with Dills tho. (even if I did enjoy the deep fried dills I tried last week )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm trying something new - the Quick Chicken Marengo from Issue 83. This is pantry cooking for me as I have everything. Instead of the cheesy grits I will make mashed potatoes since again, I have everything on hand.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by Trixxee (I'm trying something...)
Already changed my mind - will serve the marengo over some type of pasta instead of potatoes.
  Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Borrego-en-Mole-Coloradito is on the menu tonight. (Lamb shanks in Oaxacan Mole sauce. This is my last night of fancy cooking for a while. I had this dish many many years ago - with my Mom and was reminded of it when Bob and I had lunch at Azteca last week. Safeway had lamb shanks at 1.99 a pound so this dinner is perfection. I haven't figured out the sides yet. Depending on the way the day goes perhaps Osage Fry Bread with Hominy salsa.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by Harborwitch (Borrego-en-Mole-Colo...)
That sounds delicious, Sharon!

Since we now have cooler weather again and rain, no grilling tonight. So, decided to do my birthday dinner.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by Mare749 (That sounds deliciou...)
Maryann, weather-wise are you guys o.k.??? How about Karyn - are you also in the path of this mayhem????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by cjs (Maryann, weather-wis...)
Well, now old dogs can learn new tricks - the B&B pickle on the Cuban sandwich was wonderful!

Maryann (and others, but I know Maryann and Ron love cuban sandwiches), this is how I layered this one - don't know how 'authenic' it is, but it sure was good.

[Image: May23CubanSandwich_zpscc739e63.jpg]

I had slo-cooked the pork and onions (with a Cuban flair) the other day, but the sandwich I saw mentioned cooking/infusing the onions and pork with:
garlic, oregano and o.j. So I just heated it all up together and let it sit for a while.

Mustard
Bread & Butter Pickle
roast pork (with the onions)
Swiss cheese
ham slices

Then grilled it with a weight. It was so delicious!

Maryann, what all do you put on your sandwich?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by cjs (Well, now old dogs c...)
Jean, that looks really good! Going on the menu very soon.

I make mine with either roasted pork slices or pulled pork (without BBQ sauce), a slice of good ham, a slice of swiss cheese, dijon mustard, and dill or B&B pickle slices. I like to use a good crusty artisan french bread and cut it into 6" pieces, or I make Alina's recipe for Cuban bread. Then I wrap them in foil and either bake in the oven or put on the grill to heat through.

Jean, is there any chance you just have never had a GOOD dill pickle? We love them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by Mare749 (Jean, that looks rea...)
Hey Maryann, we're on the same page tonight! It's pouring down rain and cold, so I'm making your B'day dinner also.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? by losblanos1 (Hey Maryann, we're o...)
Oh, thanks for the reminder Blane - have to get it on the menu for next week!
www.achefsjourney.com