Uses and health benefits of miso paste
  Re: (...)
I was looking for information about miso paste and came across an interesting article. A co-worker once told me that his Japanese wife made miso soup every morning for breakfast and that she never has a cold or virus. Maybe this is why.

By John Asano

TOKYO —
Miso paste is a traditional Japanese food made by fermenting soybeans with a mould called koji and sea salt. The most common types of miso are red, white, barley and soybean. Miso was introduced to Japan by Buddhist monks in the 7th century, and has several well-known health benefits.

Red miso is a mixture of white rice, barley or soybeans fermented for one to three years. It contains the highest levels of protein. White or yellow miso contains a higher percentage of rice koji and less soybeans, is sweeter than red miso and contains a higher percentage of carbohydrates and a lower percentage of protein. It is only fermented for a few weeks and has a shorter shelf life than other varieties, usually up to two months refrigerated. Soybean miso is a reddish-brown, chunky miso, made only from soybeans with a fermentation period of at least a year.

Miso has many health benefits and a lot of these can be contributed to the koji mould. It is a probiotic, which is good for digestive relief and contains many B vitamins, including B12.

How can you use miso paste?

—Add a teaspoon of miso paste to hot water for a nutritious alternative to tea or coffee.
—Apply a thin scraping of miso under tahini on some wholemeal toast for a healthy breakfast or snack.

Basic Miso Soup Recipe (in 15 mins, Serves 6)

—4 cups (1 liter) dashi stock
—20g dried seaweed
—150g silken tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
—1/4 cup (75g) red miso paste
—3 green onions, thinly sliced

Method

—Place dashi in a large saucepan and bring to the boil
—Reduce heat to low and add seaweed
—Cook for a minute then add tofu and cook until heated through
—Place miso in a bowl
—Add a little dashi, stirring until miso dissolves
—Add miso to the saucepan and stir to combine
—Bring back to the simmer
—Ladle into bowls and sprinkle over green onions

Note:

Other great ingredients to add to miso soup include shitake mushrooms, carrots, daikon and udon noodles.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Uses and health benefits of miso paste by Mare749 (I was looking for in...)
Doing food research on your b-day????

I love miso soup, and am not sure why I don't buy miso and use it more often. Or the reason may be that miso isn't available at Giant Eagle! I have to drive into Pgh to find this type of ingredient (and the dashi stock).

It is very health-beneficial, as are a lot of fermented foods, and I really should make the effort (since I don't like saueraut or kimchi).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Uses and health benefits of miso paste by foodfiend (Doing food research ...)
Thanx, Maryann, we were just wondering what the heck that miso paste was
I've got a whole jar left, guess I'll be making some soup
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Uses and health benefits of miso paste by foodfiend (Doing food research ...)
Quote:

Doing food research on your b-day????

I love miso soup, and am not sure why I don't buy miso and use it more often. Or the reason may be that miso isn't available at Giant Eagle! I have to drive into Pgh to find this type of ingredient (and the dashi stock).

It is very health-beneficial, as are a lot of fermented foods, and I really should make the effort (since I don't like saueraut or kimchi).

Yes, I am playing on the computer tonight. We got home about 8:30 and he fell asleep watching TV. And now, I'm wide awake!

I bought miso paste yesterday at Asia Foods, Vicci. Did you happen to see a recipe that I posted this week for brussel sprouts? It called for miso paste and mirin, a very nice combination that Jean introduced me to a while back.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Uses and health benefits of miso paste by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks Maryann - finally I'm liking something healthy??? I do love using miso!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Uses and health benefits of miso paste by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

I bought miso paste yesterday at Asia Foods, Vicci. Did you happen to see a recipe that I posted this week for brussel sprouts? It called for miso paste and mirin, a very nice combination that Jean introduced me to a while back.

Thanks for "pointing out" the recipe to me! I love brussel sprouts.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com