What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26?
  Re: (...)
We are going out to brunch at 11:00 with my sister's family so we probably won't want a big dinner so I'm thinking just hot dogs topped with sauerkraut. Works for me!
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by Trixxee (We are going out to ...)
I'm smoking a salmon per Tom Douglas (via Bill Jamison) and maybe just nibble on it with a little great bread...or make the pasta dish from the Pacific Northwest book Sharon made a few days ago. Eat light to make up for yesterday!!

No, memory loss hit again, it wasn't a pasta dish, it was a frittata!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by cjs (I'm smoking a salmon...)
We are going to hike, it's sunny and cool so perfect. We got a wheel of that wonderful Herve Mons Camembert and some wine, I baked an 18hr bread this morning. Add some grapes and we are all set!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by Trixxee (We are going out to ...)
We have been working in the garden all day. I finally got the asparagus bed I have always wanted! The garden looks fantastic!

Earlier I started a pork roast in the crockpot. Going to have mashed potatoes, with gravy (been craving gravy since I saw Blane's food pic), broiled asparagus. I found the broiled asparagus recipe on the package of asparagus I bought at Sam's Club. I think this is going to be good. If it is, I will post the recipe

Hey Blane, do you have an asparagus bed?

EDIT:

Okay I tried the broiled asparagus recipe and it is fantastic. Not complicated.

Toss asparagus in 1 T olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place asparagus on a baking sheet or broiling pan. Broil for 5-7 minutes until tips get a bit golden brown(I did 5). Pull out and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, broil again 2-3 minutes until cheese is browned. Easy!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by luvnit (We have been working...)
Laura, I did grow asparagus a few years ago, but the demand outweighed the supply, so I gave up and started buying it.

Tonight's dinner is chicken cutlets and a side of broiled asparagus with parmesan.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by losblanos1 (Laura, I did grow as...)
Ron grilled some chicken and ribs over charcoal and smoked with some hickory chips. He roasted corn on the gas grill. I made the Shiro Miso Glazed Brussel Sprouts that I posted the other day. Delicious!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by Mare749 (Ron grilled some chi...)
Asparagus bed, shmasparagus bed! I'd settle for a herb sofa!

Have actually achieved a LITTLE something: several months ago, Allis' mother brought me a small epazote plant (it's not grown around where I live, but I knew they must get the DRIED epazote that they sell here from somewhere) when she brought Allis to town for some tests. Unfortunately, it wasn't in very good condition from the beginning (long bus trip, long wait at the doctor's office, etc.) AND when I tried it outside my kitchen window (inside just wouldn't work), I found out just how strong the sun on the southern exposure really is, here, and it died in a day and a half.

When they came back into town just before their last Stateside trip, without their even having known the fate of that quickly withered herb, they brought another, better-grown, healthier plant. This time, I have it in a pot, around the side of the apartment, in an area where my next-door neighbours have a number of potted plants and it is thriving. I've been waiting to makes sure it has enough leaves on it before I take any for cooking, though, so I haven't actually used it yet. When I get back from my trip, I'll try them in their primary application: Mexican beans and then try some experimentation.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by labradors (Asparagus bed, shmas...)
Labs, please be sure to post your recipe for Mexican beans when you do make the dish.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by Mare749 (Labs, please be sure...)
No problem. I'll be comparing things from Mexican web sites once I return from my trip. Since Guatemala shares a border with Mexico and Honduras doesn't, I may get some ideas during the trip, as well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/26? by labradors (No problem. I'll be...)
Laura - this is how I always do my asparagus (when I don't grill it), but I use the oven set at 375° instead of the broiler. I don't have to watch it as closely. Sometimes I add the Parm and sometimes not.

Labs, yesterday I made Mexican beans - but, don't laugh - I made baked beans with the Mexican beans Sharon gave me for Christmas. And, they were the best baked beans I think I've ever made. Great molasses/maple syrup flavor without too much sweetness. By the way the bean recipe is from C@H issue #88 - but instead of salt pork, I used some of my newly smoked bacon ends. YUM.

But, it was probably sacrilegious to treat Mexican beans like this. Good luck with your plant.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com