Review: Seafood Tostada Bites
  Re: (...)
Wow, are these good!!!

Yesterday while I was smoking the veggies and salmon, I also smoked some bay scallops (no sea scallops to be found around here) just for the heck of it. Wel, there was barely enough left for the appetizer today!!

[Image: May27SmokedScallops_zps62118629.jpg]

And today, this was our appetizer course we just finished! It wonderful, easy and fast. Great for a dinner party!!

Here's the recipe -
Well, hell, I tried to be nice and just post the link, but nothing is working on that end..... I made 1/2 the recipe

Seafood Tostada Bites

Two 8-inch flour tortillas
1 cup vegetable oil
4 Tbs unsalted butter
1 leek, white and pale green parts, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
24 shelled and deveined small shrimp (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 lb sea scallops, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 lb lump crabmeat
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup dry white wine (as usual I used Noilly Prat)
2 Tbs minced parsley

1. On a cutting board, cut the tortillas into 24 triangles, about 3/4 inch. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the tortilla triangles and fry until golden, 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tortillas to a paper towel–lined plate.

2. In a large, deep skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the shrimp, scallops and crab and season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and simmer just until the shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the seafood to a bowl. Add the parsley and the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and simmer until the liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Return the seafood to the pan and toss to coat.

3. Spoon the seafood into Chinese soup spoons or shot glasses, garnish with the tortilla triangles and serve at once.

4. Make Ahead The fried tortilla triangles can be kept overnight in an airtight container. The cooked seafood can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Suggested Pairing - Light, nectariney Pinot Grigio.

Source
Source: Grace Parisi , F&W 5/21/13

-------
[Image: May27SeafoodtostadaBites_zps8f020201.jpg]

[Image: May27SeafoodTostadaBites1_zpsfd86b0cd.jpg]

As I was prepping this, I thought it might be a little too bland and as I cooked thinking of what heat/zip I would have to add. Nice to say, the flavor is just so subtley wonderful, it needs nothing else!! Served with Pinot Grigo and a Sauvignon Blance and both were good with the 'bites.'

Bill & Jane, I thought of you guys for a dinner appie - while we were scarfing them down!

I save half the seafood for tomorrow and I dug out my Chess Board mirror serving platter to plate then with my (actual) Birthday dinner!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by cjs (Wow, are these good!...)
They look and sound fantastic.
  Re: Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by Trixxee (They look and sound ...)
Wow, they sure do. We would love those.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by Mare749 (Wow, they sure do. W...)
Love the presentation.

Were I to make these (and back in the States), I'd use Maine lobster, Alaskan king crab and either cod, haddock or pollock.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by labradors (Love the presentatio...)
finished up the Seafood Tostada Bites today so I could do some different plating. What a fun recipe to play with. And it is equally good warm or cold.

I have a mirrored chess set that I used to use for catering, so wanted to see how it would look using it. Keep in mind, I had very little to work with, so couldn't fill all the 'chess player' shooter glasses.

[Image: May28SeafoodTostadaBites5_zps4c42c1ea.jpg]

[Image: May28SeafoodTostadaBites4_zps7a62d2fe.jpg]

[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/cjdacook/media/COOKING%20PICTURES%202013%20MARCH%20THRU%20DEC/May28SeafoodtostadaBites3_zps4c1330d6.jpg.html][Image: May28SeafoodtostadaBites3_zps4c1330d6.jpg][/URL

This recipe will certainly be used from now on. If not before - for sure New Year's wherever we are...................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by cjs (finished up the Seaf...)
"If not before - for sure New Year's wherever we are........"

I am so holding you to that I missed out on the duck last year, not going to miss out on the scallops
  Re: Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by DFen911 ("If not before - for...)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by cjs (Wow, are these good!...)
Jean, thank you for the reminder!! I did take note of that when you originally posted---copied and printed for a time when Peter is up to something other than oatmeal or an omelet Confusedigh: The appys look right up my alley--AND I just purchased some really GREAT Cape Cod scallops!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by Roxanne 21 (Jean, thank you for ...)
They do look appetizing Here's the link.

BTW, there's a new version of RecipeFox that works with Firefox 22 and the latest Java update in case folks want to download it directly.
  Re: Re: Review: Seafood Tostada Bites by Cubangirl (They do look appetiz...)
The recipe is posted at the top of the thread....
www.achefsjourney.com