Review: Smoking Lobster
  Re: (...)
These turned out wonderful!! And with the residue bacon smoke left from a few days previously, they even tasted if they were wrapped in bacon!!

May 28 Smoked Lobster
[Image: May28SmokedLobster-best_zps8ab04b34.jpg]

A Honey of a Lobster Tail
Bill Jamison’s Smoke & Spice

Marinade & Mop Sauce:
2 cups seafood stock (used clam juice)
1 cup dry white wine (used Noilly Prat)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 T. white vinegar
2 T. kosher or sea salt
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. dried thyme (used fresh)
----------
Four 6-ounce to 7-ounce Maine Lobster tails

1 1/2 to 2 hours before you plan to BBQ, mix together the marinade in a pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir to dissolve the honey and salt. Remove from the heat and let mixture cool to room temperature.

Immerse the lobster tails in the cooled marinade and refrigerate them for 1 hour.

Prepare your smoker for barbecuing; bring the temperature to 180° to 200° (kept mine at 200°)

Drain the lobster, reserving the marinade if you plan to baste the tails. To make the mop, bring the marinade back to a vigorous boil over high heat and boil for several minutes. Keep the liquid warm over low heat. (I strained mine thru a fine sieve and put in a squirt bottle cooled).

Transfer the lobster tails to the smoker, placing them as far from the heat as possible. Smoke until just cooked thru and tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Mop once or twice in a wood-burning pit, or as appropriate for your style of smoker. Serve lobster warm or chilled.
-----
I left mine in the smoker for 40 minutes adding chips once and spraying – which brought the temperature down for a while. After 40 minutes of lots of smoke the temperature of the lobsters was 110°F., so I pulled them and finished on the grill meat side down first then to temperature (140°) meat side up/shell down.

I sure will do this again - they were so good and not dried out at all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Smoking Lobster by cjs (These turned out won...)
Beautiful, and sounds delicious!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."