Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes
  Re: (...)
Summer seems to have finally showed up! So I wanted to start a thread for sharing summer salads. I am always being asked to bring a salad to picnics or gatherings. AND, I love to make up two salads per week just to have with grilled meats. It's a quick and easy dinner and doesn't heat up the house.

I usually do two salads, one that is pasta/rice/quinoa, and one that is mainly veggies. Just to have a variety.

Here is one of our all time favorites. If you are not into the bulgur wheat taboule, this rice salad is similar, but is more of a crowd-pleaser.

COLD RICE SALAD
salad:
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 bunch parsley
1 celery stalk

dressing:
1 lemon
3 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1.Cook the rice in a rice cooker or in a pot on the stove. Either way, use twice the amount of water as rice. In this instance, you need 2 cups water.
2. Dice the celery. Crush the almonds, or chop them finely.
3.Chop the parsley, making sure to remove any stems.
4.Combine all the ingredients for the dressing.
5.When the rice is cooked, allow to cool in the refrigerator for about one hour, or until chilled.
6.Right before serving, toss the rice with the celery, almonds and parsley. Drizzle with the dressing and serve at once.
----------------------------------------------

MEXICAN COLESLAW

1/2 head of cabbage (7.5 cups)
1 large Maui onion (or other sweet onion)
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/3 cup lime juice
5 teaspoons light olive oil
3/4 teaspoons sea salt
1 T sugar
4 jalapenos, seeded and sliced thin

Cut up all veggies and toss together. Then mix lime juice, oil, salt, sugar, and combine well. Toss with salad when ready to serve.

**** This is a great salad on the side, or as a chip dip for tortillas, on top of a burger!!!! This stuff is fantastic!!!!!!!!!

So share a couple of your favorite summer salads! I'd love to have some new favorites this year!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by luvnit (Summer seems to have...)
I know everyone has 'their' favorite potato salad. But this is a MUST TRY for anyone. People positively rave about this potato salad. This is a recipe from a 'famous' Minneapolis café icon (which is no longer here).

I want you to note these important instructions**** Only russet potatoes should be used and should be cooked whole in boiling water until the jackets split. I have also made this recipe with a fresh, unopened jar of Hellman's Mayo. This is a perfectly adequate substitute for homemade. Once the mayo is chilled, it is not as good.

Charlie's Cafe Exceptionale Potato Salad

Serves 6.

Though many recipes have appeared for this potato salad, this is the first to be authorized by Louise Saunders, who ran the Minneapolis restaurant after her husband's death. The restaurant used a homemade mayonnaise, but a good bottled brand can be used, if fresh.

Homemade mayonnaise:

• 1 pasteurized egg yolk
• 1 tsp. dry mustard
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 2 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar, divided
• 1 c. vegetable oil

Salad:

• 5 medium potatoes, boiled in the jacket until split, freshly cooked and peeled
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. white pepper
• 2 tbsp. or more chopped green onion
• 1 to 2 tbsp. finely chopped red bell pepper
• 3 hard-cooked eggs, diced (or more to taste)

To make mayonnaise: In a blender, combine egg yolk, mustard, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar. Blend at medium speed, adding oil in a thin stream until mixture thickens. Add remaining lemon juice or vinegar. Makes 1 3/4 cups.

To make salad: Dice cooked potatoes into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then toss potatoes to coat evenly. Add green onion, red pepper and eggs. Stir in about 1 1/4 cups dressing, adding more if needed. (Charlie's was a very creamy potato salad). Mix gently. Chill 2 hours.
Laura
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by luvnit (I know everyone has ...)
Something's going on w my laptop - so will have to come back to this later. Hard to type on iPad
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by cjs (Something's going on...)
Laura, this is a great thread! I promise to contribute as soon as I get a chance. (busy weekend)

Jean, could this one be a sticky for a few weeks?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by Mare749 (Laura, this is a gre...)
Orzo With Everything

We serving this over the 4th

Three cups orzo, cooked al dente
2/3 C (packed) chopped drained oil packed sun dried tomatoes
10 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 C balsamic vinegar
1/2 C (packed) chopped Kalamata olives
2 C finely chopped radicchio
1 C pine nuts, roasted
1 C chopped basil
1 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 large garlic cloves, minced

Add first four ingredients to hot, drained orzo and mix. Cool. Add all other ingredients, mix. Add salt and pepper to taste, mix well and serve.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by Old Bay (Orzo With Everything...)
HERE are four Summer-salad recipes that just popped up today. Maybe one or more of them will strike someone's fancy.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by labradors ([url=http://www.foxn...)
Thanks for suggesting this be a sticky Maryann!

Looks like a fantastic salad Bill. It's on my short list. Orzo is so underused
Laura
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by luvnit (Thanks for suggestin...)
I have probably posted this before, but it is one of our favorite summer salads to have with grilled chicken. There are many variations on this salad.

Asian Cabbage Salad

A sweet and crunchy salad

1 package beef flavored ramen noodles
1 large package coleslaw mix
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbs oil
1/2 cup water
1 flavor packet ramen noodles
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup sugar

1. Break noodles into pieces and mix with coleslaw, sunflower seeds, onions and almonds in a large salad bowl.
Whisk together ingredients for dressing. Pour over salad and mix.

2. Note: Can substitute 2T. toasted sesame seeds for sunflower seeds.

Servings: 12

Recipe Type: Salads

Author Notes
This salad is also good leftover, however the noodles will no longer be crunchy.
---------------------------------

Another summer favorite:

Romaine Salad

1 bag romaine lettuce, uncut
OR
2 10 oz. bags prewashed Romaine, chopped
3/4 cup toasted pine nuts (I use sliced almonds)
8 oz Bleu cheese (can also use Feta), crumbled
8 oz cooked bacon, crumbled
1 red pepper, diced
1 medium red onion (I prefer Vidalia), thinly sliced
DRESSING:
1/2 cup canola oil (or any vegetable oil)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 dashes garlic powder
dash of pepper

1. Prepare salad. Whisk together ingredients for dressing. Pour over salad just before serving. If making single salad, 2 to 3 Tablespoons of dressing is enough for one. Store dressing in a jar or container in fridge. Will keep for a couple of weeks.

Servings: 8
--------------------------------------
This salad is really more of an entrée for us. It's quite filling. Really amazing and worth the splurge to use a high quality imported canned tuna for this.

White Bean Tuna Salad

2 cans dark meat tuna, (6 ounce) packed in olive oil
2 cans cannelini white beans, (15 ounce) drained and rinsed
1/3 cup small capers, drained and rinsed
6 Tbs red wine vinegar
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 cups fresh arugula
6 fresh basil leaves

1. In a large bowl, add the tuna, reserving the olive oil in a separate small bowl. Break tuna into bite-size pieces with a large fork. Add the beans and capers. Into the bowl of olive oil, add the red wine vinegar. You should have 1 part vinegar to 2 parts oil; add more extra virgin olive oil if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing on the tuna, bean and caper mixture and allow the flavors to infuse while slicing the vegetables. Add the onion and tomatoes to tuna mixture and toss gently.

2. Place the arugula on large decorative platter and top with tuna mixture. Tear fresh basil leaves over the top and serve immediately.

Author: Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentis

Maryann

Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by luvnit (Summer seems to have...)
Hello, all. I've been absent for awhile and am glad
to be back. I was just having trouble computerwise
making things work on this site in particular. Here
are two of our family favorites. Both are quite
flavorful and have been around awhile. The first
one came from an old classmate and the second was
given to me by the chef of a local restaurant when
I requested it. Enjoy!

Lemon Garlic Super Salad - Romaine

2 heads Romaine lettuce
2 c cherry tomatoes
1 c coarsely grated Swiss cheese
2/3 c slivered almonds, toasted
1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 lb bacon
Croutons

Sauté diced bacon until crispy, and drain. In a salad bowl, combine sliced romaine, halved cherry tomatoes, Swiss cheese, almonds, Parmesan and bacon. Toss salad with dressing, salt and pepper to taste and garnish with 1 c croutons.

Dressing

Juice of one lemon
3 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and pepper
3/4 c salad oil

Combine juice, garlic, salt and pepper in small bowl. Add oil slowly in a stream, whisking. Let stand covered 3 hours before using -- or not. AFSC.

Southwestern Chopped Salad – Santa Fe Salad

Romaine lettuce, small pcs
Iceberg lettuce, chunked
Red cabbage, sliced thin
Pasta noodle twists, cooked and drained
Grated white Monterey Jack cheese
Sweet green melon, or cantaloupe, chunks
Sliced ripe strawberries, large if possible
Pecans, chopped
Grilled (smoky and flavorful) Chicken breast, cubed
Bacon, fried crisp, drained and crumbled

Honey Herb Dressing:
Honey
Oil
Dijon Mustard
cilantro
chervil
thyme
dill
white wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar?
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes by sophia (Hello, all. I've bee...)
Hi Sophia and welcome back!

Jump right in and get re-acquainted with the forum. Be sure to try my birthday dinner. Recipes are posted.
Maryann