Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday
  Re: (...)
For those of you who don't know Alyssa's story, she is our miracle baby, born 8 years ago today. My daughter's life was in danger and Alyssa had to be delivered at 28 weeks. She had stopped growing at 24 weeks and was only 1 lb.5oz. at birth. She spent 6 months in the NICU where her mom worked.

Alyssa had her first heart surgery the day after she was born. She had to be on oxygen for 2 years. Her doctors finally decided that she could have her second surgery, which was successful and she was finally able to go without additional oxygen shortly after.

Some of you were with me that day as I posted updates on the forum during her surgery. It meant so much to me and all the love and prayers kept me going that day. Today is Alyssa's 8th birthday and she is a healthy, happy child. Here are 2 pictures that Heather posted on facebook today with her birthday message.

This is 2 days after open-heart surgery.

[Image: 425340_10151686682761103_651789575_n_zps6e493ed7.jpg]

By day three, she was walking around.

[Image: 969679_10151686683031103_668247396_n_zpse66aa443.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by Mare749 (For those of you who...)
Maryann, Alyssa's story just brought tears to my eyes. I had no idea. I think she's the cutest little patient I've ever seen.

I hope she has a great birthday today. Miracle baby indeed who obviously is much loved.
  Re: Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by Trixxee (Maryann, Alyssa's st...)
Oooh what a sweet little girl! How precious she looks. I bet she has grown up a lot! You are a lucky mom. Happy Birthday Alyssa!!!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by Mare749 (For those of you who...)
I remember it well, Maryann! Happy Birthday, Alyssa!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by luvnit (Oooh what a sweet li...)
Quote:

Oooh what a sweet little girl! How precious she looks. I bet she has grown up a lot! You are a lucky mom. Happy Birthday Alyssa!!!

Yes, I am a very lucky mom, but should have been more clear for those who don't know. Heather is my daughter and Alyssa is my granddaughter.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Two days after open heart surgery and she's walking around with a smile on her face? She's something special. Happy birthday Alyssa.
  Re: Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Awww, she's so sweet! Everyday is a birthday with her!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by BarbaraS (Awww, she's so sweet...)
I can't believe - 8years old!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by cjs (I can't believe - 8y...)
I remember, Maryann! How wonderful to see her so happy and healthy, makes my day
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Way OT---Alyssa's 8th birthday by farnfam (I remember, Maryann!...)
Oh, I had no idea! What a very special little girl she is, with an incredible smile and spirit. Happy birthday Alyssa! I wish you many, many, more to share with your wonderful mom!!