The American Baking Competition
  Re: (...)
How did I miss this one: The American Baking Competition? It airs Wednesday nights at 8PM on CBS (THAT'S how I missed it: I was watching MasterChef at the time).

The show is hosted by Jeff Foxworthy (entertainment) and judged by Marcela Valladolid (sex appeal for male viewers) and Paul Hollywood (sex appeal for female viewers and - oh, yeah, expert baker and judge of The Great Biitish Bake Off, upon which this series is based).

In fact, the Turkey, Stuffing & Cranberry Chelsea Buns recipe that I made back in January was a Paul Hollywood recipe from a judges'-recipes special episode of The Great British Bake Off.

If the show is anything like the British original, it will be a good, serious competition, though somewhat "lighter" than MasterChef and the like (but still fun to watch).

CBS is repeating the first (last Wednesday's) episode TONIGHT at 8PM, so I'll be checking it out then.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: The American Baking Competition by labradors (How did I miss this ...)
Labs, I love your commentary!! I was with you watching MasterChef , and totally agree with your analysis of the hosts of the American Baking Competition.
  Re: Re: The American Baking Competition by karyn (Labs, I love your co...)
Just watched the first episode. They even used the same music as the original, British show.

One thing that was a little different was that the second part of the episode - the "technical bake" was for a savoury, hand-raised, hot-water-pastry pie.

That type of pie (the same from which the "pork-pie hat" gets its name) is formed by shaping the dough around the outside of a jar that has been covered in plastic wrap to allow the pastry to slide off. After that, the filling is added, the pastry for the lid is crimped around the top, and the pie is baked as it stands.

Needless to say, it is NOT a pie that most Americans have ever seen, let alone made, so I don't know if Paul modified the recipe instructions as a concession to the clueless Americans or if the contestants just all happened to decide the pies had to be baked IN something, but they all used narrow-but-tall spring-form pans.

It does make me want to try making Melton Mowbray-style pies, or Paul's Hand-raised chicken and bacon pie,though.
  Re: Re: The American Baking Competition by labradors (Just watched the fir...)
I haven't watched either show yet. Got kind of tired of competition type shows I guess. But, I'll DVR both and give them a chance since they do sound interesting. Thanks, Labs.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The American Baking Competition by Mare749 (I haven't watched ei...)
I saw that but don't like the first 2 hosts at all, so I am skipping it. Have enough reality shows with Master Chef and my favorite So You Think You Can Dance.

BTW, I think Master Chef is going to be even better than the last. Have some favorites already.
  Re: Re: The American Baking Competition by Cubangirl (I saw that but don't...)
What I cannot understand is WHY, oh WHY is Jeff Foxworthy hosting this show?

Does he not have enough to do, but now he's hosting a baking competition? I don't get it, not enjoy his quips or comments.

Sorry I'm being a downer...going to my room.
  Re: Re: The American Baking Competition by DFen911 (What I cannot unders...)
Agreed. I like Jeff Foxworthy, but not for that show.

At least pick a comedian with some connection to food, such as Gabriel Iglesias.