Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review
  Re: (...)
Chicken & Bacon Burritos with Chipotle Dressing

This is a quick and easy weeknight meal that will surely become a favorite in our house. We “mostly” followed the recipe as written with the following exceptions: I used 4 “thin” slices of bacon instead of thick-sliced, and low-fat ranch dressing because we were already getting enough fat using the bacon grease to cook the chicken. That added great flavor. Also, I added a few slices of onion just because we like onions. Absolutely delicious!

The Mexican Rice with green peas is also a delicious dish and the recipe for two is just right. The minced jalapeno, gave just enough heat. I very carefully measured out the two tsp. after tasting the jalapeno, which was pretty hot. Great combination of flavors and this will be my new go-to recipe when serving a Mexican style meal.

[Image: May2013006_zps42d9b190.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by Mare749 (Chicken & Bacon Burr...)
I've made this twice now, the first time w/o the rice. The second time w/rice and I'm glad I did, it's now my default Mexican rice.
The only changes that I made to the recipe were to omit the cucumber and use tomato tortillas.
We loved this, it's now in my burrito rotation with the carne asada and steakhouse burritos. We had company for dinner and we all gave it an 8.
Excellent choice Maryann, it was easy & delicious.

[Image: ChickenampBaconBurrito5_zps40f74fef.jpg]
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by losblanos1 (I've made this twice...)
darn, I'll be back!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by cjs (Damn, I'll be back!...)
Just finished dinner and we loved it! I didn't make any changes other than to add some diced avocado (brilliant idea), and I didn't make this exact rice as we had some leftover from the other day.

Tony really liked it as well. Will definitely make this again because 1) we loved it and 2) I probably won't use the ranch dressing for anything else because it's not something I usually stock.

Thanks Maryann! Picture up on FB.
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by Trixxee (Just finished dinner...)
These photos look yummy! I have the burritos and the rice on my wish list, but it has been too busy lately for me to try anything new.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by foodfiend (These photos look yu...)
Vicci, I hope you get a chance to try this. We had it twice in 2 weeks.

I love Trixxee's idea for avocado and made a note of that with the recipe.

Also, really liked Blane's idea for a tomato tortilla. Another note for the recipe!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by Mare749 (Vicci, I hope you ge...)
A very tasty meal, over all. In this case, I actually liked the rice better than the burrito.

First of all, no cucumbers for me (my only exception is tzatziki sauce - it's the only time I'm willing to pay that gastric price). Everything else was according to the recipe, but I really should have ditched the ranch and gone with avocado and a good salsa. Otherwise, as I commented in the recipe thread, it's more of a salad wrap than a burrito, to me. Even so, it DID taste good.

I'll definitely make the rice again, but I'll probably experiment with chipotle, rather than jalapeño, the next time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by labradors (A very tasty meal, o...)
We really enjoyed this as well. I agree with Labs, it feels like a great recipe to play with. There are lots of potential fun combination. The rice was perfect as is, and a great addition to the dinner. The only change I made to the rice was to use brown rice and a bit more liquid, because that's what I had.
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by karyn (We really enjoyed th...)
Well, before this thread gets into the basement completely - I'd better get my review in.

I made the dinner the Friday night before we left on the road and had a heck of a time keeping quiet! We both loved this dinner. Because we were leaving, I chose to use a couple of pkg. of buffalo wings I had in the freezer, so that was our 'heat' flavor. WONDERFUL.

Also, I made a double batch of the rice so I could take the l/os with us. The jalapeño I used was hotter than h*ll And almost ruined the rice. But will certainly make it again. Must say tho, I used the l/os in a can of tomato soup and it was great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Review by cjs (Well, before this th...)
Bump for Daphne.