Foolproof Oatmeal Golden Raisin Milk Choco cookie
  Re: (...)
I came across a couple of interesting recipes from Kate Zuckerman who was the pastry chef at Chantarelle and wrote The Sweet Life. I'd never heard of her, but her recipes looked interesting. I tried two of them yesterday and wanted to share my results. One was Oatmeal Raisin with Golden Raisins and Milk Chocolate Chips and the other Thin Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. It was the latter that made me pay attention as that is exactly how I like my choco chip cookies.

I was skeptical thinking that the milk chocolate chips would make the Oatmeal Raisin cookies too sweet, but they were great. I could not find the golden raisins I thought I had, so used some old Cheri Raisins from KAF. The cookies were great, even though the batter was in the fridge for only 2 hours, the edges were crispy caramely and the center soft. They are very thin, but all the components come through.

I had put the butter and eggs for both these and the Thin Crispy and Chewy Chocolate Chips ones (oatmeal for DH , choco chip for me) out to warm. However, I had a brain freeze and only put out 8 oz. of butter instead of 16 (got the eggs right). I made the Oatmeal first and put the batter in the fridge. When I started adding the butter for the cc ones, I realize I was missing a stick and that I'd missed a whole stick in the oatmeal as well. Since I was just starting to cream the butter, I quickly put another stick in the microwave, softened it, and proceeded with the cc batter. It is in the fridge now, will try the first batch tonight.

I decided I had nothing to lose, so I put the oatmeal dough back in the mixer bowl where I'd just removed the cc ones, ran it for a minute, then melted a stick of butter in the microwave. With the mixer running, I drizzled the still hot melted butter onto the dough and beat it on slow/med until incorporated. I figured the dough was cold enough from the fridge, so the melted butter was not going to cook anything. Made sure it was incorporated well and put dough back in the fridge. It worked!!!!

I had also experimented and used coconut flour for ¼ cup of the 1¼ cups AP flour. I figured since I used x-large eggs instead of large, that would give me the extra moisture needed for the coconut flour sub.

All in all, these are keepers. Have some more batter in the fridge, will see if an extra day in the fridge makes a difference as I have found it does with other cookies.

Next time I might try cranberries and white chocolate on half the batch, and maybe coconut oil for half the butter.

DH who is an Oatmeal cookie lover really liked them and I could have eaten whole bunch myself.

Anyway let me know if you'd like the recipe.
  Re: Foolproof Oatmeal Golden Raisin Milk Choco cookie by Cubangirl (I came across a coup...)
Yes, please and thank you! We don't eat a lot of sweets around here, but both of us have a weakness for a good cookie. And yes, I would like to know if more time to chill is needed.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Foolproof Oatmeal Golden Raisin Milk Choco cookie by Mare749 (Yes, please and than...)
Here's the recipe. I tried to mark the changes I made. DH baked the cookies himself, one day he did them pretty flat at 12 minutes, the next a bit smaller but did not flatten then as much for 11 minutes. He says he likes them both the same, did not notice much difference. I used Bob's Red Mill Coconut flour and extra large eggs. For the extra white, I had 2 saved from the Doughnut Muffins, so I put them in a mini measuring cup and saw I had 2 oz. I poured by eye and the oatmeal got slightly more than 1 oz. (the other went to the cc cookies). I figured the extra was good since I'd subbed the coconut flour to make them healthier. I will probably experiment using convection-bake next time, but these will be my go to Oatmeal Raisin basic recipe from now on. I like the proportion of oatmeal to flour.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

OATMEAL COOKIES WITH GOLDEN RAISINS AND MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS*****

Chewy, caramelized, crispy, and packed with oats, and very forgiving. I forgot 4 oz. of butter, so I melted it and added it at the very end. Can substitute dried cherries, cranberries, or diced dried pears for the raisins and white or dark chocolate for the milk chocolate, and coconut flour for part of the AP flour. Original called for 1¼ cups, 171 g. AP flour.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Yield: 36 large round cookies, 48 smaller

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

137 g. flour (1 cup)
28 g. coconut flour (¼ cup)(my sub)
1 tsps. baking soda
1/2 tsps. salt
8 oz. butter, at room temperature (16 TBS.)
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 x-large eggs at room temperature
1 x-large egg white
1/2 tsp. vanilla (my addition )
1/2 tsp. Fiori di Sicilia (my addition)
3 cups oatmeal
8 oz. milk chocolate, chopped into ¼" pieces
5½ oz. golden raisins (1 cup.)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put parchment or a silpat on cookie sheets.

In a dry bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Place the butter in the bowl of the stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the sugar white and beat on medium-high speed until the mixture becomes fluffy and lighter in color, approximately 5 minutes. Add the dark brown sugar and continue creaming for 3 to 4 minutes, stopping the mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Add the eggs and egg white, one at a time, and continue to beat until they are fully incorporated and the batter looks smooth and glossy, 1 to 2 minutes.

With the mixer stopped, add the dry mixture, and oatmeal and using a rubber spatula, fold together for a few turns. Then, turn the mixer on slow speed, and mix the dough until thoroughly combined about 1 minute. Add the chocolate and the dried fruit. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and mix for another 30 seconds. The dough can be made up to this point and refrigerated, well wrapped, for up to 3 days.

Using a #50 disher (2 tsps.)., scoop the dough into mounds and place 2" apart on your prepared cookie sheets. Flatten each mound with the back of a spoon or two fingertips.

Bake the cookies until they spread, rise, and turn a light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. For even browning, rotate your cookie sheets from front to back and between each of the baking racks at least once while the cookies are baking. Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheets. Once cooled they will be crispy on the outside and chewy, moist, and buttery in the middle. If you continue to bake the cookies they will color more and your result will be a crunchy, caramelized, and intensely flavorful cookie.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Chocolate, Cookies, Desserts, Kate Zuckerman

Source: Cookstr
Web Page: http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/oatmeal-c...late-chips

Please let me know how you like them if you make them. Enjoy!
  Re: Re: Foolproof Oatmeal Golden Raisin Milk Choco cookie by Cubangirl (Here's the recipe. I...)
Yay. I wanted this one too. I will print it out. Thanks.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Foolproof Oatmeal Golden Raisin Milk Choco cookie by esgunn (Yay. I wanted this ...)
Thanks, Alina. Copied and saved!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."