(page) could some one post the recipe of Firechief on 8-14-08
for lettuce wraps

or if you have a better one please post

thanks so much

we want to make these and also tameles for just us one day

having a great time here but weather is stormy and cool

Thanks again for your help

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: I'm still gone !!!! by mjkcooking (hi everyone I am in...)
Hi Marye!! Have a great time!! I found LJ's post and a couple of commments about it, so I'm including them also.

This is the recipe I used tonight to "mimic" the appy Holly loves from work.

Lettuce Wrap Recipe Ingredients

* 8 dried Shiitake mushrooms
* 2 teaspoons cooking sherry
* 2 teaspoons water
* 1 teaspoon soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
* 2 cloves minced garlic
* 2 chopped green onions
* 8 oz can bamboo shoots, chopped up
* 8 oz can water chestnuts, chopped
* 2 small dried chilies (optional)
* 1 package of Chinese cellophane rice noodles, cooked according to instructions on the package
* Iceberg lettuce leaves

Lettuce Wrap Sauce:

* 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
* 1 1/2 tablespoons water
* 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil

Pour enough boiling water over dried mushrooms to cover. Let soak for 30 minutes, then drain. After the mushrooms have soaked, remove any woody stems and chop up the mushrooms.

While waitng for the mushrooms to finish soaking, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce.

In a separate bowl, mix together the sherry, water, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and chicken. Stir together until chicken is well coated.

Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of oil. After the oil gets hots, add the chicken mixture. Fry quickly for about 3 minutes, or til chicken is no longer pink. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Remove chicken.

To the same skillet, add 2 more tablespoons of oil. Add the fresh ginger, garlic, green onions, and optional chilies, if desired. Fry quickly for 45-60 seconds, or til garlic is a golden color. Do not overcook garlic, or it will taste bitter. Add the dried mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Fry quickly for about 2 minutes.

Return chicken to the skillet. Add the sauce ingredients to the same skillet. Cook until the sauce thickens.

Break the cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces. Spread the noodles onto the bottom of a platter. Pour the chicken mixture on top of the noodles. Spoon into lettuce leafs. Roll up chicken lettuce wraps and secure with toothpicks

Give them a shot and see what you all think and let me know of course.

Did I mention we sell about 250 orders of these a day at work on an average day?

Daphne: UH, this part is not clear?
Quote:

Break the cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces. Spread the noodles onto the bottom of a platter. Pour the chicken mixture on top of the noodles. Spoon into lettuce leafs. Roll up chicken lettuce wraps and secure with toothpicks

Oddly, there are only a few ingredients I don't have on hand...LOL! And I KNOW they have bamboo shoots and water chestnuts at the local store. Now a question....do you guys use fresh or canned like the rest of us?

LJ: As for the Lettuce Wraps we serve our filling mixed with the rice noodles while PF Chang's serves theirs on the rice noodles. It is one of the few dishes we share in common.
------------------
Can't remember if I've ever made these, but they sure sound good!!

Edited to add -
Here’s a link to another thread that came up in my search for LJ’s lettuce wraps – forgotten all about it and some really good ideas in it:
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=1&vc=1

and, another interesting one from the past:
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...rt=all&vc=1

another from nostalgia (sp?) lane – one of our first dinner threads, I think. Well, good except for Trixxee’s Michael, poor little guy!

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...rt=all&vc=1

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'm still gone !!!! by cjs (Hi Marye!! Have a gr...)
thanks jean hopeing to make this when my sister arrives
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: I'm still gone !!!! by mjkcooking (thanks jean hopeing...)
made these last night we all enjoyed them
I woould probably use ground ckn next time or put meat in food processor and grind it up
was very tasty will make again

I believe they offer several dips along with this dish anybody remember?

returning to wa on wed been lots of fun here
  Re: Re: I'm still gone !!!! by mjkcooking ( made these last nig...)
Had quite a trip, Marye - glad you had a great time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'm still gone !!!! by cjs (Had quite a trip, Ma...)
Marye, you're right about the dips. When we went to P.F. Chang's a few years ago, we had these. It seems to me they gave us a dish with three different sauces in it. One was a teriyaki type sauce and I think one was a peanut sauce. Can't remember the third one. It might be on the website.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."