T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I have to backup a little to share our dinner today - a couple days ago, I made the greatest Kraut-Burger Sliders. A take off from a Noble Pig recipe. Delicious, but I made them as sliders and they were much easier to eat than the larger ones would be, I think, because the patties are so fragile.

Double Kraut-Double Cheese Burgers

The double kraut flavor came from mixing half of the sauerkraut in with the ground beef to give the burger an extra punch of flavor while keeping them nice and moist. To get the health benefits of the sauerkraut make sure to buy it from the refrigerated section right next to the pickles. This is the healthy, fermented kind. The stuff you find in the canned vegetable aisle is just packed in vinegar.

1-1/4 lbs ground beef (85/15)
1 lb (16 oz) sauerkraut (bag or jar), drained and divided
salt
10 slices center cut bacon, cooked
5 slices Sargento Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Slices
5 slices Sargento Vermont White Cheddar Cheese Slices
mayonnaise
5 hamburger buns

1. In a large bowl combine ground beef and half of the sauerkraut. Form into five equal patties (the patties will be more delicate than regular burgers, be gentle with them).

2. Cook burgers as desired, I made mine in my cast iron skillet. Season with salt.

3. Toast buns while burgers are cooking. Build your burger with bun on bottom, cheese, burger, more cheese, 2 bacon slices and sauerkraut. Spread top bun with mayonnaise before placing it on the sauerkraut.

Source
Source: Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: 5 burgers

----------------
I made 12 little burgers and have many leftover, so I'm going to spice it up a little and add to a pasta dish. These little goodies were really good!

[Image: Jun4Kraut-Burgersliders2_zps432cd003.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Those sound really good Jean - love kraut.

We're having a grilled tri tip (don't have a lot of experience with this cut), a fresh corn/basil/avocado/tomato salad and garlic bread. It's way more meat that we can eat even for several meals and I think Tony wants to make some sort of chili with the leftovers.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by Trixxee (Those sound really g...)
Ribeyes! Yep never get tired of em. Going to make a compound butter to top them off of shallots and bleu cheese.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by DFen911 (Ribeyes! Yep never g...)
Trixxee, I love tri-tip. I hope you enjoy it.

Today was my last day until August. I am ready for a break! I went to the Friday afternoon farmers market and picked up some handmade goat cheeses. I think we'll just have cheese and crackers with the cheeses in the fridge and the stuff I just picked up.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by Trixxee (Those sound really g...)
Quote:

We're having a grilled tri tip (don't have a lot of experience with this cut),

Will you let us know what you did with the tri tip? Just picked some up today, looking for something different.

PJ

Karyn, what do you do with yours?
PJ
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Jane'sfamily was raised on a family farm raising Vegis, chickens and pigs. After the Korean conflict her sister married a Texan. He stayed out there. He and her father made Carolina hash once a year . It was made with beef! It was a treat to have beef. We got George's recipe and are making it tonight, to eat and to freeze for the 4th family party. We are also doing pulled pork and baby backs along with other Southern favorites for the 4th. We are struggling with the hash recipe because of conflicting family memories and opinions. We are taking 20 memories and trying to make a good hash out of them! Occam's Razor! Will let you know how it turns out. Happy Weekend!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

Karyn, what do you do with yours?

I do lost of different things, depending on my mood, but this Bon Apetite recipe is one of my favorites: Wood Smoked Tri-tip.

My least favorite way to do tri-tip is the way my cousins do it in Central California. They smoke it over oak, low and slow. The smoke flavor is terrific, but I think the meat is too lean to be that well done. I really prefer my tri-tip reverse-seared and medium rare. DH like medium well, but the thin end makes him happy, too.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by Old Bay (Jane'sfamily was rai...)
That's funny Bill - sounds like my mom trying to recreate a braised rabbit recipe listening to two bachelor non-cooks instructing her. When you get the recipe down, would love to have it! Although, did Jane give me a recipe for hash??.? I think so.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I just bought some tri-tips about a week ago for a new recipe I'm trying out Sunday (Korean Triangle Steaks, Bulgogi).

Tonight's dinner is Steak Rumaki with Bourbon Vanilla sauce and a salad with honey-mustard vinaigrette.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/7/13 by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks for the link, Karyn. Looks great! I, too, am a huge fan of reverse searing. It's my go to method these days for all meats.

PJ
PJ