Sweet Onion Quick Pickle
  Re: (...)
I love Claussen and Boar's Head Kosher dills. As I eat the pickles I slice sweet onions like 10/15's thinly and pack them in the brine. In a few days they are really tastey. I put them on sandwiches, in all sorts of salads, and just eat them with sausage. Handy and cheap little condiment.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by Old Bay (I love Claussen and ...)
Great idea,Bill!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by cjs (Great idea,Bill!!...)
That is a great idea!! I am so doing that
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by DFen911 (That is a great idea...)
That sounds like a great idea. Is there a big change in the taste of the brine after adding the sweet onion? The reason I ask is that my favorite potato salad recipes use the pickle juice as well as the pickles (no relish). I have a sweet onion now and will use part of it in the salad and would love to add the rest to the pickle juice, but not if it will prevent me from adding it to future salads.

In the summer we usually have a bowl of either potato or macaroni salad in the fridge. Just finished the macaroni, ready to make the potato one tomorrow I hope.
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by Cubangirl (That sounds like a g...)
Darn, just finished a jar of B&Bs. Will have to hurry with the next one and save for onions and/or add to jar when I get a few out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by Cubangirl (That sounds like a g...)
I have never noticed a change in the brine or the flavor of the pickle. I add the onions while I finish off the jar of pickles over several days. I like your idea of adding the juice to potato salad. How about slaw? Why not the pickled onions and some brine to either slaw or potato salad?
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by Old Bay (I have never noticed...)
I add sweet pickle brine to my potato salad also while the potatoes are hot - add some of the pickle to the salad, too.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by cjs (I add sweet pickle b...)
There are only two things I don't like about dill pickles: dill and cucumbers.

Well, I guess that doesn't really leave much. LOL!

The pickle mixture that I do like is the local encurtido: onions, carrots, and jalapeƱos (optional: cauliflower, bell peppers, radishes or beets [I don't care for it with the beets]) pickled in white vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaves, garlic, black peppercorns and cumin (optional: olive oil).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by labradors (There are only two t...)
What a wasted life.
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Quick Pickle by Old Bay (I have never noticed...)
I am posting my Reduced Calorie Potato Salad Recipe in the Salads thread. We love it and don't miss the extra calories. It is an adapted version from the original CC recipe which I tested. The technique is quite unique.