Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment
  Re: (...)
A few years back I became very frustrated because all of a sudden I could not make chocolate chip cookies that I liked. Before that I'd made CC cookies that I, as well as my family and friends, loved.

This entertaining video CI demystifies gluten from Cooks Illustrated explains why I lost my cookie mojo.

I switched to KAF AP when I started reading CI. I still used GM bleached when making my mom's old recipes, because that is what she used, and measuring was not her thing. One day, I ran out of KAF AP and used the GM bleached for my cookies, and all of a sudden my cookies were good again. Then I read that CI uses Pillsbury unbleached for their baked goods. So from then on, I have both bleached and unbleached GM (can't get Pillsbury here), and only use KAF AP for breads, etc. Recently, I got the Honeyville Alta Artisan, I've been using that as my higher gluten AP instead of the KAF, and have been very pleased with the results.

I even made myself a chart listing the protein (gluten) content and the flour maker's cup weight (need that for recipe nutrition and cost), of various flours in case a recipe calls for a specific flour and I want to sub.

Love it when what appears to be random can be explained by science.
  Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by Cubangirl (A few years back I b...)
Interesting. I really like the science behind baking/cooking. Thanks for sharing.

I am still on the hunt for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe...care to share?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by esgunn (Interesting. I real...)
I collect chocolate cookie recipes, so sure. What kind of CC cookie do you prefer?

I tend to be in the minority in that for cc cookies, I dislike "fat" cookies, hard/crispy cookies and cakey cookies. I wanted them thin, chewy but not gooey in the center, crispy only at the edges with a caramel flavor, and they need to hold up well and not get hard in a Ziploc bag over several days. Feel pretty much the same about brownies. Being so picky makes it easy to pass on all packaged cookies and most bakery cookies which is good for my weight.
  Re: Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by Cubangirl (I collect chocolate ...)
My chef instructor, my friend and a gluten expert said the following when I shared this video -
"Excellent video. Helps you visualize what's going on. Loved the washing of the starch away and seeing what you have left. I think that, for people who are trying to bake, this is a good video to help you understand why you need so many different flours. If you are into baking this video may be to simple. I have always said that Cooks is wonderful for people who are just starting out or learning about new things, or techniques." So I thank you for sharing it
  Re: Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by DFen911 (My chef instructor, ...)
Good video.

What he does with the kneading and rinsing is actually the same process used to make seitan - the gluten that vegetarians use as a meat substitute.

The Seventh-Day Adventists around here are SO known for doing this (since SDA is, generally, a vegetarian organisation) that the local name for gluten/seitan is Carne Adventista ("Adventist Meat").

Once all the starch has been rinsed out, the gluten is cut into strips and coated with various spices (often just a store-bought, powdered, vegetable-stock mix) and then pan fried and served with rice or whatever.

It's quite a bit of work, and they usually do it on Friday (the day before their Sabbath), but the confirmed carnivore writing this comment has had it and can honestly say that it is delicious (MUCH tastier than tofu or TVP).

Although I haven't done so, yet, this is one vegetarian/health-food item that I wouldn't mind making and it was interesting to see it show up (if only partially) in a video explaining the importance of gluten in bread, etc.

If you've never tried seitan before, give it a go, sometime - maybe if a vegetarian friend happens to make it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by labradors (Good video.[br][br]W...)
This is interestng.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by cjs (This is interestng....)
We are in the thin and chewy bunch. Not too cakey and not hard. My husband stipulates "One that produces a lot of cookies and can be doubled with ease "
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by esgunn (We are in the thin a...)
The original Toll House recipe has always worked for me, I'll post it if anyone needs it. But I always use more vanilla. Don't we all? (I make my own because I use so much....)

For all of you as interested in cooking science as I am, my chef gave me a great gift for Christmas, CI's The Science of Good Cooking. Fascinating. Lots of good recipes but more, the science behind it all. You'll read it like a novel. A great reference.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Gluten: what, how and why and my AHA moment by pjcooks (The original Toll Ho...)
PJ, I have the Science of Cooking in my iPad.

Here's are my two favorite thin and chewy CC cookies, the first was my go to till I discovered Kate Zuckerman's. You'll recognize it, it is my adapted version of the toll house one. The second is my new favorite. I posted a picture of the cookies here so you can see them. I scale my recipes up and down all the time. I sometimes prefer lots of small ones so I use a #60 or #70 disher instead of the #50 for those. Here's a link to picture of my the Zuckerman cookies.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES EVER*****

Knead the brown sugars in the bag before measuring to remove any lumps. Cookies can be baked at 350° F convention bake or 375° F in a regular oven. Check at 9 minutes. If you don’t want to bake all the cookies at once, form the rest of the dough into a log in plastic wrap and save for another day. They will last in the refrigerator for a few days or wrap them really well and freeze them for up to a month. When you are ready to bake cut them into ½″ slices and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. If you don’t let the dough come to room temperature first you will end up with cookies that are crisp around the edges and soft in the middle. I happen to like this but if you want a cookie that is soft all over than wait until they are room temperature before baking.

Cookies are soft and chewy in the center and crisp and caramelized on the edges. Will stay soft for several days.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Yield: Makes about 5 dozen cookies

Preparation Time: 21 minutes
Cooking Time: 9 minutes
Inactive Time: 71 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 72 hours

2 cups Gold Meal all-purpose flour bleached
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
8 oz. salted butter, (2 sticks) softened Room temperature
1 TBS. maple syrup
7 TBS. granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
¾ cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs at room temperature
2 cups (12oz) Guittard Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or (1 cups chocolate chips and 1 cup M & Ms)

Place racks in the middle of the oven. Place parchment paper on cookie sheets.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a 4 cup glass measuring cup and whisk to mix.

Beat butter until light and fluffy, add granulated sugar, brown sugars and beat at medium high for 3 minutes, then add maple syrup and beat to mix. Add first egg and beat to mix, add second egg and vanilla and continue beating until well mixed and mixture is fluffy again, about 3 minutes.

Gradually add in flour mixture in thirds, beating on lowest setting until mixed. Stir in chips and beat to mix, stir in M&Ms if using.

Using a #50 disher, drop by rounded TBS. onto prepared baking sheet. Make sure they are nice and rounded. The rounder the ball of dough the less it will spread in the oven. Put cookie dough in refrigerator for at least a few hours or up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 350° F convection bake or 375° F regular oven.

Bake for 8-10 for 350° F convection bake and between 9-11 minutes 375° F regular oven or until golden brown. If baking 2 sheets at a time in a regular oven, rotate sheets halfway. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight tin or freeze.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Chocolate, Cookies, Desserts

Author: MINE
Source: Partly adapted from Toll House one at Zoe Bakes
Web Page: http://zoebakes.com/?p=140

THIN, CRISPY, AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES*****

Dark brown sugar may give too much moisture) Flour measured as 4.8 oz or 137 per cup.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Servings: 48

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 11 hours and 15 minutes
Total Time: 12 hours

8 oz. unsalted butter (16 TBS.), at room temperature
340 g. light brown sugar (1½ cups)
1 egg, room temperature
1 egg white, room temperature
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
240 g. all-purpose flour (1¾ cups)
8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. vanilla
6 oz. chopped walnuts (1½ cups optional)

Preheat oven to 350° F. degrees and line some cookie sheets with parchment or Silpat.

In a bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat butter on medium speed for 1 minute. Add sugar and beat on medium until mixture is light and fluffy, about 6-8 minutes, scraping sides as needed. Add the egg and egg white and mix until fully incorporated.

Add the dry ingredients all at once to the wet ingredients and fold together briefly by hand with a rubber spatula. Place back on mixer and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Add the chocolate, vanilla, and walnuts (if using). Scrape down side of bowl and mix for another 30 seconds. You can refrigerate the dough for up to 4 days before use, or use immediately.

Drop a tsp. of cookie dough onto prepared pans and make sure the cookies are at least 2" apart. These guys are spreaders! Bake until golden brown on top and not raw-looking (middle should be brown, not dough-colored) with darker brown edges, about 12-15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for at least 5-10 minutes to allow cookie to set, then use a flat spatula to remove to cooling rack.

Keep in airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for long term storage.

Recipe Type: Chocolate, Cookies, Desserts, Kate Zuckerman

Author: Kate Zuckerman
Source: The Sweet Life
Web Page: http://dessertfirstgirl.com/2007/10/cons...g-the.html

User Data 11 (link): http://debakingpsychopath.blogspot.com/2...-chip.html