Jean - Pizza Question
  Re: (...)
Figured I'd post here instead of a PM so if anyone else who camps needs to know.

I was going to make a batch of pizza dough to freeze and take with us.

1. Do you let the dough do the first full rise then wrap and freeze?
2. How hot do you cook it in your camper oven? At home I put mine in at a 500 degree oven.
3. How long do you cook it?
4. Do you put your pizza stone in your oven? I have one that fits but was worried about transport and getting bounced around aka cracking it. But such a heavy thing to have to wrap up and protect.

Thanks you awesome pizza woman you!
  Re: Jean - Pizza Question by DFen911 (Figured I'd post her...)
Jean is the expert, but I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth.

I haven't frozen any dough yet . . . so I can't comment on that. I will have to try it though.

I brought our pizza stone (it's round and about 1/2" thick), it stands on edge with baking racks, lids, etc. I think I wrapped it in a dish towel while we traveled. I also have my cast iron griddle (round), but I think I got it here. My new convection/microwave oven goes to 450 so that's what I bake the pizza at. We also use the grill a lot for pizza.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by Harborwitch (Jean is the expert, ...)
1. Yes, I let it rise an hour then I like to let it age a bit in fridge - 2-3 days, if I have time. If not, after the rise , I divide out in 7-8 oz. rounds and freeze.

2. I do the same at home. I guess I usually set trailer oven to about 450.

3. I start checking after 8 min.

4. I don't use a stone, but I would do the same with one as I do my 18" cast iron griddle that I use. I heat the oven with it in.

It travels as Sharon does hers - upright in my vertical cupboards. I do the same method when using the trailer grill - heat the grill as the BBQ hears up.

Hope this helps.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by cjs (1. Yes, I let it ris...)
Thank you both very much

So Jean what do you cook your pizza's on?
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by DFen911 (Thank you both very ...)
I par bake Jeans sauerdough pasta crust and freeze it . Thaw, then finish with cheese, Vegis , meat, etc and bake in oven or on a stone. Never failed me!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by Old Bay (I par bake Jeans sau...)
I wish I could, but being that I'll be camping my fridge in my trailer is very small I can freeze and take 2-4 small disks of dough.
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by DFen911 (I wish I could, but ...)
This is my baby - love it
[Image: pizzagriddle_zps08a620ee.jpg]

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1371818012&sr=1-2&keywords=18"+Cast+Iron+Griddle]http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P1...st+Iron+Griddle[/url]

For pizza parties, I use Bill's method, but I find it's easier in the trailer to have a little 'blob' of dough to find room for.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by cjs (This is my baby - lo...)
And it fits with the handles? Never seen one of these. Shoot no way I can get it before we leave. Ah well will use the stone for this trip and put that little gem on my wish list. Thanks!
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by DFen911 (And it fits with the...)
Yes, it fits in the trailer oven and also my little trailer grill.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Question by cjs (Yes, it fits in the ...)
Yay!and it's on sale double yay!