The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!!
  Re: (...)
Here we go again me vs. Sharon's recipe for sourdough pancakes (granted neither are our own recipes )

This is Ruth’s recipe –

Sourdough Pancakes

Sharon Skelton <fanciesmom@live.com> - Sun 06/23/13 07:40 PM. My Sourdough is going nuts! I'm going to feed it again tomorrow after I take out some for bread. Wed AM I am making these: (Best served with berries to hold them down on the plate!)

2 cups sourdough starter, room temperature*
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 egg**
4 Tbs olive oil (melted butter)
1/2 tsp salt
Note: for thinner pancake, add 2/3 cups milk to batter
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbs warm water

1. If you don't presently have a sourdough starter, either make your own sourdough starter or purchase Packaged Sourdough Starter Mix by mail-order. The night before using your sourdough starter, remove from refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Then feed the starter with flour and water. Let this sit eight (8) hours or preferably overnight. It is now ready to use in your sourdough pancakes! Learn how to feed and maintain your Sourdough Starter.

2. * I sometimes add an extra egg to the pancake batter. I do this to add some additional protein.

3. In a large bowl, add sourdough starter, sugar, egg, olive oil, and salt; mix well; set aside.

4. In a small bowl, dilute 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 tablespoon of warm water; set aside until ready to bake your pancakes.

5. Important: Only add the baking soda/water mixture to the pancake batter just before you are ready to cook the pancakes. Make certain everything is ready to go, the griddle hot, so the Sourdough can be cooked while the air is still working in the batter. This will produce light sourdough pancakes that melt in your mouth.

6. When ready to cook your sourdough pancakes, fold the baking soda/water mixture gently into the prepared pancake batter (do not beat). This will cause a gentle foaming and rising action in the batter. Let the mixture bubble and foam a minute or two before using.

Source: Ruth Allman’s Sourdough Pancakes: 4 servings

Ruth’s Batter [Image: Jun26Ruthsbatter2_zpsde9cf17d.jpg]

Ruth’s first - way too thick for us
[Image: Jun26firstpancakeofRuths_zps837e5614.jpg]

Mine - first - again way too thick for us
[Image: Jun26Myoldrecipe_zps4c22b441.jpg]

Ruth’s after add milk
[Image: Jun26afteraddlmilkRuths_zps1368bb20.jpg]

Mine after adding milk
[Image: Jun26mineafteraddthirdcupmilk_zps7a13290b.jpg]

The taste off – Ruth’s are on the left.
[Image: Jun26PancakeTasteOff_zps91904384.jpg]

Decision time –

Have to admit Ruth’s recipe without the addition of flour had the best sourdough flavor, but we don’t care for thick pancakes, so I’m adjusting the ingredients to include 2/3 cup milk to the batter.

What a great brunch!! Now, I’m going to be confused all the rest of the week, because this should be Sunday – have champagne and all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!! by cjs (Here we go again me ...)
I just love Ruth's recipe. I have to go down to the trailer and get the cookbook. As the sourdough get more "mature" the flavor will really pop some more. I can remember adding a little extra dissolved soda will sometimes lighten the batter some more too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!! by Harborwitch (I just love Ruth's r...)
I was very happy with the addition of the milk to thin a little.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!! by cjs (I was very happy wit...)
Thanks for that info. I'm going to write it down in the book for future reference. I've had that book for probably 20 years (my mom brought it home from Alaska for me) and have used it from time to time. But, I do remember thinking that the pancakes were way too thick for our taste and not sure if I added more water at the time. Don't think I tried adding milk, but sure will now.

Those cakes look great!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!! by Mare749 (Thanks for that info...)
I thought about water Maryann, but decided to go with milk and I'm glad I did. Are you starting a 'sourdough' folder??
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!! by cjs (I thought about wate...)
That last one before the tasting picture is a sight to behold! I may have to put breakfast for dinner on the menu.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!! by Mare749 (Thanks for that info...)
Bob took one of each down to Chad - who, of course, grinned and ripped the foil off the plate and ate them by hand! I am going to make sure that we have these about once a week.

A loaf of bread is rising now, the sourdough is resting in the fridge.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: The Great Sourdough Pancake Cookoff!! by cjs (I thought about wate...)
Quote:

I thought about water Maryann, but decided to go with milk and I'm glad I did. Are you starting a 'sourdough' folder??

I love sourdough, but Ron just doesn't share my passion. So, kind of lost interest in keeping a starter going. Those pancakes are calling my name though...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."