I'm on a Crusade
  Re: (...)
and, it's probably going to be a lonely one, 'cause I have not heard others complaining about this. I rarely smoke meats/poultry/fish/etc. because the standard fare is cover the product with so much highly spiced rubs, then smoke for hours, then slather with sauce of one sort or another.

I am a carnivore - a meat flavor carnivore!! Salt & Pepper on my steak, nothing else. A perfectly roasted chix with s&p or maybe a sprinkling of Good Sh*t (a compound I learned to use working in kitchens (2 parts kosher/1 part each granulated garlic & white pepper) - we used this mixture on 95% of our meats, etc.

Since I was doing ribs and chix, I thought I would try just a very basic seasoning rum for them. I loved it - you could taste the meat in both!

If anyone is interested, here is the recipe I typed up this morning of what I did with the ribs -

4th Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs*****

This simpler method and seasoning brings out the best in the ribs – you get wonderful flavor you can enjoy and not be hit in the face with highly seasoned rub.Developed July 3, 2013

2 2-1/4 lbs. rack of ribs
--------
Rub:
1 Tbs kosher
1 Tbs packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-------
Glaze:
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs hot water
-------
12 oz bottle of favorite beer
-------
Favorite BBQ sauce (or just spray the ribs with 50/50 apple juice and water while you heat them

1. Day 1:

2. After removing the membrane from the underside of 2 2-1/4 lbs. rack of ribs, set aside and combine the rub ingredients and rub both sides of the ribs. Lay the ribs in a pan large enough to hold them in one layer with just a slight overlap of the racks. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

3. Soak your wood chips overnight – I use apple and/or mesquite.

4. Day 2:

5. Start your smoker and keep temperature at 200°F. While the smoker is heating, get the ribs ready and combine the honey and hot water for the glaze to be used as you smoke.

6. With tongs transfer the racks of ribs to 2 or 3 smoker racks and when smoke starts, put the racks in the smoker. Smoke for 2 1/2 to 3 hours keeping the temperature as close to 200°F. as possible and brushing the tops of ribs with the honey/water glaze each time you need to add wood chips or every 45 minutes or so. I also spray the underside of the ribs with apple juice/water mixture (50/50) to help keep moist.

7. After the smoking time, remove from the smoker and lay in a roasting pan which has a rack placed inside and pour the beer over the ribs. Wrap tightly in foil and bake in a 300°F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until ribs are very tender but NOT falling off the bone. To enjoy the ribs to the fullest, you want just the slightest pull to the meat as you bite into them. To serve at a later time, cool the ribs, wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to finish off.

8. Day 3, later in the day or when ready to serve:

9. You can prepare the ribs to this point up to 2 days ahead of serving. When ready to serve, heat your grill to medium heat. Cut the ribs into 1 or 2 rib sections and lay on the grill. You want to just warm thoroughly and baste with BBQ sauce or spray with apple mixture turning every 5 or 6 minutes, basting with each turn of the ribs.

Source
Author: a Chef's Journey

------
This morning I lightly oiled the chix and rubbed under and on the skin some Good Sh*t and smoked/roasted for 2 hours 10 minutes. The two batches of soaked chips stopped smoking about 1 1/2 hours into it. So, not heavily smoked. The chicken is delicious and the flavor of chicken comes thru!! I did spray with apple mixture as it smoked and roasted.

I'm getting rid of all the heavy, heavy highly spiced rubs and go the suble route - as Julia (I think she said it) said "Moderation in all things"

So, that's my little tirade for today - now, I'll go find my room and wait for the thunderstorm of not seasoning my smoking products!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I'm on a Crusade by cjs (and, it's probably g...)
Thanks for the recipe and method, Jean. It's similar to what we do and like.

I'm thinking it's all just a matter of individual taste. We are in the camp where less is more. Light smoke, light rub. If we use sauce at all, it's at the table as a dip or drizzle on a sandwich.

Maybe our tastes evolve over time? We seem to be leaning toward "less sweet" as we get older, which is just amazing to me. Ron used to love coating everything in several layers of Sweet Baby Ray's!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by Mare749 (Thanks for the recip...)
Thanks for the info, Jean. I have so much wood for smoking available, it is sad I don't smoke more often. My smoking method has been to throw a big piece of soaked Hickory in the smoker pan, turn on the grill until the wood catches, turn off the gas. get the heat right, then add the meat. I use my sprayer to moisten the meat and control the heat. Maybe I need to get William to chip up the wood?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the info,...)
I don't know Daphne, but from what I've read you're lucky to have the large pieces rather than having to continually add chips. But, larger pieces are not available to me, so I'm used to the chips now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by cjs (I don't know Daphne,...)
Jean, we just bought three bags at Wally World; mesquite and hickory chunks and applewood chips. Have also found them at home improvement stores.
Maryann

Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by cjs (I don't know Daphne,...)
Good point. I guess controlling the heat is a part of the game either way. I'll stick with my big pieces.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by Gourmet_Mom (Good point. I guess...)
We have a 'general' store here, Swains, that just may handle the chunks. I'll look - thanks Maryann.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by cjs (We have a 'general' ...)
Or you could do this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-Ap...ng#.UdhFYTvVCSo
Maryann

Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by Mare749 (Or you could do this...)
If you have an Ace Hardware or True Value they should have plenty of chips. Even Safeway has some. There is a guy on Amazon that sells lots of different chips.

We usually have Jack Daniels, apple, maple, pecan, hickory, cherry, and mesquite. I would like to find unsprayed grape vine trimmings, peach, and almond.

I have an abundance of sage, oregano, and a couple others that I think I'll smoke, dry, and grind together for a seasoning mix.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: I'm on a Crusade by Harborwitch (If you have an Ace H...)
Sharon, I have plenty of chips - I'm looking for the larger chunks. Those are hard to find around here, except when a neighbor or Roy cuts down a tree.

Thanks Maryann, think I may order some - especially with free shipping.
www.achefsjourney.com