NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich
  Re: (...)
This guy made a take-off of the original Norristown "Zep" sandwich by combining the ingred. into a loaf of bread. His is not the classice because he adds ham and the original should only have salami - but sure sounds good for a picnic or on a boat....Cis!

NORRISTOWN "ZEP" BREAD

Still popular the "Zep" was created approximately 100 years ago in Norristown Pennsylvania. The "Zep" is similar to a hoagie or a hero sandwich, There is no lettuce. I decided to bake everything into one loaf. The bread can be sliced or chunked, serve plain or with a dipping sauce. I can eat the whole at one time, so I don't make it too-too often. As a youngster my uncle rode from Phoenixville to Norristown (10 miles each way) on Saturday evening to buy these sandwiches. We were sort the original home delivery. We would take orders from the family, some neighbors and friends. It was worth the trip to trip to sit down and eat such a wonderful concoction.

1/2 cup diced salami
1/2 cup diced ham
1/2 cup diced cheese
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs flour
1 pkg. dried yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs butter or margarine
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1. Mix the first seven ingredients, making sure the flour coats the ingredients.

2. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar. Stir in honey, butter, salt and whole wheat flour Add in the all-purpose flour and work together.

3. Cover mixing bowl and rise until doubled in a warm place for about 30 minutes. Beat down with wooden spoon. Incorporate "Zep" ingredients.

4. Pour into a standard size loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until batter reaches edge of pan for about30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375-degrees and bake 40 to 45 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Makes one delicious loaf

Tips
What is a zep? The sandwich has been a regional favorite since the 1940′s, but a large amount of Philadelphia-area residents surprisingly have never heard of it before. Though the sandwiches true origins are up to speculation, all signs point to the name coming directly from the Hindenburg zeppelin. Made with only one meat, provolone cheese, tomatoes, and raw onion, on crusty Italian bread, the zep has stayed tried and true through all these years.

So what exactly is a Norristown Zep?

• Rule number one: only one kind of meat, cut thick. On a classic Zep, it's cooked salami: pink and specked with peppercorns, more bologna than genoa, along with mild provolone, also thick cut.

• Rule number two: no lettuce. Tomatoes and lots of fresh sliced onion, dressed with salad oil and oregano.

• Rule number three: it must be on fresh bread from Conshohocken Bakery (also purveyors of fantastic tomato pie). The bread is flatter and wider than a seeded Italian hoagie loaf
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by cjs (This guy made a take...)
Jean,

What's the name of the Conshy bakery?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by cjs (This guy made a take...)
Or any easy dinner with a salad after a hot day at work. Hmmm. I just might get going on this while it's cool. I have some wonderful pepperoni and really killer bologna.

Thanks for finding this Jean!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by Harborwitch (Or any easy dinner w...)
Hmmm... All those years in Pottstown and never heard of this. Probably too interested in cheesesteaks at the time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by labradors (Hmmm... All those ye...)
Barbara, I'm sorry, but the above is such a mishmash of copying/pasting I have no idea where anything came from except the first part for the 'bread' came from Sara Moulton's website, so maybe you could find it there?? I just ran across it on a posting from her on facebook.

Wow, Sharon - great idea. you just made me think of a package of salami that is getting full of frost in the bowels of the freezer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by cjs (Barbara, I'm sorry, ...)
This is making me hungry!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by cjs (Barbara, I'm sorry, ...)
It is rising now and the oven is preheating. Bob may have to finish it while I get ready for work. I put a sprinkle of pepper flakes in it. This is going to be so god.
  Re: Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by Harborwitch (It is rising now and...)
Please come back with reviews and pictures if possible. Turns out the pkg I was thinking of was pepperoni and it was really bad, so threw away. Salami is on the grocery list.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by cjs (Please come back wit...)
Sounds like a perfect boat treat
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: NORRISTOWN "ZEP" Sandwich by cjs (Please come back wit...)
I had some issues. I will post a picture tomorrow. I really think it needs some tweaking. It rose nicely, I followed the instructions (who me?) and got it in the oven before I jumped in the shower figuring that it would come out shortly before I had to leave for work. Well just as I was getting out of the shower the breaker blew, lost all the electricity in the coach. I was drying off, trying to tell Bob how to reset the oven - but he managed to put it in the cooldown cycle before it would turn back on so the bread sank. sigh. Flavor is out of the park! Texture I'm not going to discount because of the oven issue. I want to try this again but I do want to play with the ratio of whole wheat to ap flour.