Why don't we use GroupRecipes?
  Re: (...)
I see that there was a brief discussion of GroupRecipes, six years ago, but only because several members of this forum had received invitations to it from someone else.

Not once, however, did anyone mention that it is a site for GROUPS of people to post and organise RECIPES and, after all this time, how many users, here, still have trouble trying to FIND recipes that lie deeply buried within forum message posts?

I'll not take the lead on this (unless requested to do so), but I propose that we create a Cuisine at Home group on GroupRecipes, post any recipes THERE, from now on, and only post the LINKS to the recipes in our forum posts.

It would certainly help to cut down on duplicate recipe postings and "Why-doesn't-the-forum-search-work?" posts.

To avoid stepping on the toes of those who provide and maintain the forum, we could name the group "CaH Forum," instead and even make it a private group (if we only wish forum members to see our group's recipes). I wouldn't suggest "C@H Forum," though, since the "@" sign could mess up searches and bring up other groups (e.g. "C&H").

What do you think?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by labradors (I see that there was...)
Hmmmm, interesting suggestion Labs - I don't even remember this. Will sit down and look thru the link later this a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by cjs (Hmmmm, interesting s...)
I don't remember this either. But, it does sound like a good idea. Would there be any problem with copywriting?

An alternative idea would be to have a second category choice on THIS forum for reviews/recipes so that they would all be in one place. I would love that.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by Mare749 (I don't remember thi...)
Looks great to me, Rob, I'd be willing to join the group if you create it. It would be great to find all our recipes in one place at last!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by farnfam (Looks great to me, R...)
I familiar with group recipes, but have never gone there for recipes or used any posted there. My first thought is that I enjoy the comments, addition, changes etc. to the recipes posted on this forum. I think you might lose some of that if you post the recipes off-site. That format does not lend itself to that.

Personally, I would prefer a dedicated thread for recipes within this forum. The other forums I frequent; have subdivisions which makes it easy to find what you need. A great example is cookaholics.org (composed mainly of folks from the Cook's Illustrated forum).
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by Cubangirl (I familiar with grou...)
First of all, hope no one thinks we will ever get sub-categories around here - I'm feeling lucky that the powers that be are kind of ignoring us and letting us go on our merry way....

I must say, I agree with Alina on this (and I even understodd everything she said!! )

I can't see where one thread reviewing recipes would work - just think about how many we'd have to scroll thru.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by cjs (First of all, hope n...)
When I first started, I realized that if I searched "review" and played with the dates, I could go pretty far back to get recipes. Invariably, someone would come on and request the recipe. I can't tell you how many recipes I got! It took a while, but it was worth it.

My suggestion is when we review a recipe, we make it a separate thread with "Review" in the post title, as most of us used to do, and add the recipe to our review? That instead of burying it in a "What's for dinner thread" as we seem to have fallen into doing. I considered a sticky for reviews with the recipe, but that goes back to what Alina said about comments and suggestions from others. It would get too confusing.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by Gourmet_Mom (When I first started...)
The problem with the "review" idea is that there are probably a lot more recipes posted in the "What's for dinner" threads than as separate review threads and each "What's for dinner" can have multiple recipes.

On top of that, even in review threads, people post alternative or follow-up recipes that wouldn't necessarily be found by searching for "review."

Since there has been enough positive discussion for it to be worth a try and since at least Cis appears to be willing to join and to give it a try, I have gone ahead and created the group HERE.

For now, I have kept it as a public group, but I have made the recipe posting moderated to prevent the Elephant Stew kinds of posts for which cooks.com is infamous.

When Jean joins, I'll make her a moderator and, if the group gets enough traffic AND users stay well behaved, maybe we can allow unmoderated posts.

I do hope this works out, so that recipe searches will no longer require wading through multi-page forum threads (only to find mentions or discussions without a recipe).

Have fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by labradors (The problem with the...)
Okay, I'm signed up. You might have to walk me through the linking part.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Why don't we use GroupRecipes? by Mare749 (Okay, I'm signed up....)
I too signed up, and found the CAH page but it won't let me add a new thread.