Summer Salads REview
  Re: (...)
Testing linking recipes from Group Recipes to here - I catered lunch for the wine bottling group at Harbinger Winery yesterday. Only one mishap.....I had 2 containers of dressing for the Cobb salad (on left in pix) - and somehow 1 jumped off the table and just exploded on the cement floor. For some reason, I had grabbed the extrea salsa jar, so we were able to 'dress' the salad for everyone.

These are great party salads.

[Image: July14HarbingersLunchsetup_zps63adeb7c.jpg]

This is one of my favorite couscous salads -
[Image: July14HarginerbottlinglunchCouscoussalad...c9f6b5.jpg]

http://www.grouprecipes.com/136465/medit...n-chickpea,-couscous-feta-salad.html

This is a such a 'showy' salad for a party buffet - it is posted on 'a Chef's Journey' group on group recipes.
[Image: July14HarbingersSWCobbSalad_zps3a6fcfe9.jpg]

http://www.grouprecipes.com/136466/south...salad.html

-----
Yeah!! it works.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Summer Salads REview by cjs (Testing linking reci...)
Yay, it worked! So nicely done, Jean. Just beautiful. What a bummer about the salad dressing. So glad it worked out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Summer Salads REview by Mare749 (Yay, it worked! So n...)
Thanks Maryann - and now I know what we're having today - a beautiful N.W. day. My last Wagyu rib steak and I have ingredients for the couscous salad I made for the luncheon and I didn't get any!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Salads REview by cjs (Thanks Maryann - and...)
Great pictures Jean! The salads are beautiful! Shame about the dressing, but as usual, you made the best of it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Summer Salads REview by Gourmet_Mom (Great pictures Jean!...)
Gorgeous, Jean! Great ideas for presenting, I get so stuck in my ways, sometimes..

Your dressing story is funny, only because something similar happened to me. Very VIP event-an evening station event for all the big contributors to the new Peter Paul College at UNH. (Also known for his CA wines) I was doing the salad station, where I assembled their choice of ingredients in Chinese takeouts. One of my dressings was a blueberry vin. The caterers had filled up the pretty little bottles to the brim. It was hot that night, about 94. Full chef dress, hat and all, and it was an outdoor event. The first time a guest asked for the blueberry vin, I picked up the bottle and it exploded all over me. It was so hot, it was too full and the pressure built up. 5 min in and I'm already covered in blueberry vin, and no way to change. Ugh.

At that point I had to be so charming no one noticed my tie dyed chef coat

Glad it ended well for you.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Summer Salads REview by pjcooks (Gorgeous, Jean! Gre...)
Oh wow! That's a memorable story, PJ! I bet that was a long night!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Summer Salads REview by Gourmet_Mom (Oh wow! That's a me...)
Oh PJ - I've had similar - but never blueberry!!! Wow.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Salads REview by cjs (Oh PJ - I've had sim...)
Beautifully arranged. That couscous salad sounds delicious.

Still haven't figured out people who say they hate couscous. It's PASTA! The same people don't hate spaghetti. I mean - couscous has next to no flavour of its own and plays a supporting role to everything else. It's the perfect base for serving a tagine or for salads such as this and, by cooking it with milk, honey, dates or raisins, some cardamom and orange zest, then sprinkling on a little rosewater, you have a dessert! As Mark Bittman said, it's a "blank canvas."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Summer Salads REview by labradors (Beautifully arranged...)
Thanks Labs - I agree with the 'blank canvas.' So versatile.
www.achefsjourney.com