Summer Garden Updates??
  Re: (...)
Finally things are happening up here in the garden. We haven't had the heat most of the U.S. has had (do we ever?? ), but the plants I'm most excited about are the San Marzano tomatoes. They are loaded, but they better hurry up and start ripening. I may not have to buy any canned tomates at all this winter!!

San Marzano tomatoes
[Image: July20SanMarzanotomatoes_zps0aed35b7.jpg]

artichokes - all three plants are really going crazy!
[Image: July20Artichokes_zpsdd4c8d4a.jpg]

Potatoes - I think I'm almost ready to start digging some up!
[Image: July20potatocrop_zpsfc6f7823.jpg]

How is everyone elses gardens going. I love watching the progress of Jeannette's on facebook. Cis, yours much be going crazy too! And, Denise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by cjs (Finally things are h...)
My tomatoes have lots of little green tomatoes. I have 2 Roma, 2 regals, 4 black Kim and 2 San Marzono's.

My potatoes lost all their green tops so not sure what's going on. No pests or deer. Shallots are going pretty good will harvest in late Sept. Got one zucchini so far, about 20 blooms but they are all male flowers I need more females for squash.

I have about 4 cucumbers, but the way they are growing not sure I'll have enough at the same time to pickle them lol.

Carrots I planted about 30 and they have had green tops about an inch tall for a month now. Lettuce all bolted while we were gone, but all other herbs doing splendid.

Pepper plants are still dwarfed but seeing tiny peppers form.
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by DFen911 (My tomatoes have lot...)
My pepper plants are about the same.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by cjs (My pepper plants are...)
Ours is doing well, too. It's raining so I'll wait and report further tomorrow.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by Gourmet_Mom (Ours is doing well, ...)
No garden this year. We had plans to clear a larger area and put up a sturdier fence to keep out the deer. But, after we got home from vacation it was one thing after another and never got done. Maybe next year.

Fortunately, my in-laws always have a really great garden. And, we are very lucky to have access to great "local" produce. I do have a few pots of herbs and the deer don't bother them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by Mare749 (No garden this year....)
I am thinking of putting up a big green house for next year. The weather and not so nice bugs is playing a large factor this year. So where my garden is now will become just corn and beans. Also going to put in about 20 asparagus plants.
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by DFen911 (I am thinking of put...)
You'll never be sorry building a green house, that's for sure.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by cjs (You'll never be sorr...)
What about pollination? Bees aren't going to be able to inside so do you just shake the blossoms a bit?
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by DFen911 (What about pollinati...)
Denise, you can't leave a green house closed up - they need constant ventilation. We have two large windows (1 each on two sides) that open up; we have the south side all windows that don't open and we have a roof vent on the north side that is always open a little. No screens on any openable windows.

We also have a dutch door for the house, which in cooler weather we close completely at night, but in summer, we only close the bottom half to keep critters out.

The bees can come and go all they like.

One implement I would suggest you get right away is a remote theremometer that you can read the temp. in the house (your house) and know when to go open it in the morning and close in the evening.

You'll learn to regulate depending on the ventilation you have. I open it up completely when temp. gets to 75-85°F. and close up when it goes down to about 60°F

Let us know any other concerns you may have.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Garden Updates?? by cjs (Denise, you can't le...)
Oh good idea on the thermometer Jean thanks! The one I'm looking at has 2 roof vents, dutch door and exhaust fan, heater but no windows. So this has me pondering again how the bees will get in.

We have absolutely zero skills in building so having to do a kit. Assembly is ok, cutting wood and measuring..not so much