Need Book Recommendation
  Re: (...)
Ok all you cooks I need to find an excellent Soul Food type cookbook. Laura's boyfriend is totally enamored of soul food cooking and getting this type of book in Sweden is not easy. So I figured I'd find one and send it to him for his birthday next month.

But I'm clueless. Help!
  Re: Need Book Recommendation by DFen911 (Ok all you cooks I n...)
I'd be interested in finding out what he considers soul food. Are we talking Southern Cooking, e.g. fried chicken and grits or real survival food?

PBS did an excellent special called Soul Food Junkies. Amazon has the dvd available. You might want to read the reviews. It is available for instant video as well. Can't remember if specific cookbooks are mentioned in it. Anyway, something to consider.

If you decide to get the dvd, make sure it will work on their machine, I seem to remember dvds being rated by country or something like that. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  Re: Re: Need Book Recommendation by Cubangirl (I'd be interested in...)
Oh sure ask this question while my cookbooks are all in boxes............I'll go over to Amazon and see if I can find the proper titles for the ones I have and really like!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Need Book Recommendation by DFen911 (Ok all you cooks I n...)
River Road Recipes from the Baton Rouge Jr League is the best selling of all time. It is a combination Cajun and Soul food book . Great book, I have vol 1&2.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Need Book Recommendation by Old Bay (River Road Recipes f...)
Although I've never seen her cookbook, no discussion of Soul Food could be complete without a mention of Sylvia Woods
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Book Recommendation by labradors (Although I've never ...)
Thank you guys so much!
  Re: Re: Need Book Recommendation by DFen911 (Thank you guys so mu...)
Denise - my absolute favorite soul food cookbook is Princess Pamela's Soul Food Cookbook. I've had it for a million years - and I hope I have it in the trailer. The best!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Book Recommendation by Harborwitch (Denise - my absolute...)
Sharon hang on to that book. The cheapest I can find that one is thru a private dealer and most are going for $65 +

Not so good for me however
  Re: Re: Need Book Recommendation by DFen911 (Sharon hang on to th...)
Is that hardcover or paperback? WOW! I hope I have it with me - mine is a very beat up paperback that I bought in Oakland when my first & I were there. I wanted to be able to cook authentic soul food at 19!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Book Recommendation by Harborwitch (Is that hardcover or...)
I had no idea how hard it would be to find a good soul food book.

While I can find great recipes for collard greens, corn bread, chicken, chow chow etc, finding a good book with recipes that work is a task.

I looked Sylvia Woods and the biggest complaint is, the recipes in the books are not her recipes that she uses in her restaurant but a close copy. She won't give up her recipes. Which I think is just stupid. You give me a recipe for your chicken does not mean I'm not going to come back to your restaurant.

I saw one by Edna Lewis, but this woman also works in a professional kitchen and her recipes are a cross between southern soul food and hotel type food.

Bill I found the books you mentioned, but do they have pictures of the food? I'm sending this to a Swede who needs pictures to see he's doing it right