Canning Question
  Re: (...)
Ok all you master canners out there. I am having a blast making pickles and relish. Today making jam and for the first time freezer jam.

Now here's my question - I followed the directions for the freezer jam on the freezer pectin. 4 cups of fruit, 1 1/2 cups of sugar and one package of the freezer pectin. It says this will yield five 8oz jars. Um..not even close, I barely got 3 jars.

When I was doing the pickles it said I would get 11-12 quarts based on 9-11 lbs of cucumbers. I got 7 quarts.

I'm following the direction on measurements and size of veggies the recipe calls for but getting 1/2 of what they say I should be getting. Why? My pickles aren't over packed, jam is going to the 1/2 head space but this is frustrating the crap out of me.
  Re: Canning Question by DFen911 (Ok all you master ca...)
It's not you, Denise - the amounts have always been arbitrary since I've been canning/preserving. In my opinion Kerr does the best job with their methods and amounts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canning Question by cjs (It's not you, Denise...)
Thanks...I was going bonkers trying to figure this out.

Well on to my regular cooked jam. I wish my darn tomatoes would start ripening!
  Re: Re: Canning Question by DFen911 (Thanks...I was going...)
Welcome to my world!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean is right - I would also check with your local Ag extension. I'm planning on pickles and more jam soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Denise, I rarely get the quantity the recipes say.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Canning Question by Lorraine (Denise, I rarely get...)
we've been making so long i don't even read the recipes anymore. But - we always measure crushed fruit, not whole fruit. I also go by the amount of crushed fruit called for - not just the weight. Out of cooked jam we get 10 to 11 8 oz jars. Less with low sugar pectin.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Canning Question by esgunn (we've been making so...)
Denise, as you progress in your canning/preserving - take copious notes and you'll get to where you do it almost by feel. I bet by the third summer of "retirement" you'll have it down pat.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canning Question by cjs (Denise, as you progr...)
Oh I so am! I made an apricot jam that was far too sweet so already wrote in my little canning book to cut the sugar in half.

I love learning all this and know that things can only go up from here
  Re: Re: Canning Question by DFen911 (Oh I so am! I made a...)
Just keep in mind, playing with the amount of sugar will affect the outcome of jams & jellies - you're usually better off adding citrus - lemon, to cut the sweetness and/or
adding pineapple.
www.achefsjourney.com