Saturday's Dinner, 7/27/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for toady??

A few days ago, I found a Polish/American 'snack' take off of the taco, Polaco and I've been collecting ingredients since. I'm all set to play with it today.

Found some very good Polish sausage, needed some good sauerkraut (hard to find around here), and Horseradish with Beets! Had to find a recipe for this one. We have horseradish growing, so roasted up some beets yesterday and will put together today. Should be interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/27/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Wow, now that's interesting! Hope it turns out well.

No cooking for me today. We have afternoon theater tickets for Lion King, then we'll grab something after.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/27/13?? by Mare749 (Wow, now that's inte...)
My wife's away for the weekend, so I'm cooking for one tonight. Vaquero Steak with pepper relish and goat cheese. I finally exchanged my empty propane tanks for full ones.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/27/13?? by losblanos1 (My wife's away for t...)
We thinly sliced some Porchetta and put it on toasted buns with a spicy fried green tomato. provolone, and an herbed "baconaise". Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/27/13?? by Harborwitch (We thinly sliced som...)
Forgot to mention how mich we both enjoyed the 'Polacos' altho for todays Champagne brunch, I added some more 'prepared horseradish' to the mix to make it a little stronger. Really a fun 'taco'

Sharon - I have been thinking of this since I 1st saw the pix of the porcetta - thin slice dipped in flour, egg wash, seasoned cracker crumbs, and fried in about 1" of oil. Oh man!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/27/13?? by cjs (Forgot to mention ho...)
Sharon, that sandwich sounds divine. How do you make spicy green tomatoes and what is baconaise?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/27/13?? by Mare749 (Sharon, that sandwic...)
Jean I have some nice 1/2 slices in the freezer! That sounds good.

Maryann for the "baconaise" I whisk regular mayo with a few TBS of bacon drippings until well blended then add whatever herbs - basil, sage, ????

The spicy fried greens - well seasoned flour, buttermilk with Tabasco to taste & salt & pepper, bread crumbs with salt & pepper, finely chopped herbs (to reflect baconaise), and a bit of cayenne.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!