Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It
  Re: (...)
Oh boy, is this a winner!!

I made this this morning to do something with all the garlic I'm roasting..... It is delicious!
[Image: Juy30GarlicJam_zps36bbc186.jpg]

Had a couple pkgs. of Cuban Pork in the freezer, so made sandwiches with the last of my Focaccia (darn) and the jam - the flavors go together so nicely.

[Image: July30CubanPorkSandwFocaccia1_zps63a6256e.jpg]

Here's the recipe -

http://www.grouprecipes.com/136608/cuban...c-jam.html
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by cjs (Oh boy, is this a wi...)
Jean, that looks and sounds amazing! Off to check out the recipe...
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by karyn (Jean, that looks and...)
Oooooh! Absolutely MUST make that jam. Thanks, Jean!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by labradors (Oooooh! Absolutely ...)
Right up your alley, Labs - anxious to hear the uses you'll find for it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by cjs (Right up your alley,...)
Very interesting condiment, Jean. You mentioned that you used pasilla chilies. Are they much different than ancho? Aren't ancho those smoked chilies that Bobby Flay uses all the time?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by Mare749 (Very interesting con...)
@Maryann: Technically, pasilla and ancho are different chiles, since anchos are dried poblanos and pasillas are dried chilacas, but some countries DO use "pasilla" to refer to dried poblanos and some of the "pasillas" sold in the U.S. are the same as anchos and are not from chilacas. If you've ever used poblano chiles for making chiles rellenos, you know how wide (ancho) they are, so if the "pasillas" you find in the store are wide, like that (allowing for a little reduction from the drying process), then those are really anchos; if they are clearly narrower than poblanos, then they are probably real pasillas.

@Jean: How about using this jam for a jelly roll, but inside of a thinly pounded pork schnitzel, instead of cake?
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by labradors (@Maryann: Technicall...)
What he said, Maryann -

I'm making beirox today with a concoction I put in the crockpot yesterday (p.apple juice, soy, brown sugar) with the beef chuck chunks (supposed to be chicken). The flavor is very good, but could stand some heat and oomph so thought I'd add a dollop of the garlic jam to each one when I fill them.

So many things to use this for - wish I'd made the full recipe now instead of just half.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by cjs (What he said, Maryan...)
Thanks Labs, for the explanation. So, does this mean that neither one of those are smoked?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by Mare749 (Thanks Labs, for the...)
I think the ones I have are all just dried Maryann.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Garlic Ancho Chile Jam & Using It by cjs (I think the ones I h...)
They are not smoked.

Probably the most common smoked peppers that Americans would know are chipotles, which are usually smoked, dried red jalapeños, but can sometimes (depending upon region) be other varieties of chiles. In fact, the word "chipotle" is from a Náhuatl term that literally means "smoked chile."