Fascinating Asian-cooking show...
  Re: (...)
...but there's a catch.

Luke Nguyen is a very interesting (at least, in my opinion) Vietnamese-Australian Chef who has had a couple of travel/cooking shows about Asian food. Lately, I've been watching Luke Nguyen's Greater Mekong - a fascinating series where he travels to several cities in the various countries along the Mekong River (China, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos). Most of the time, he seeks out the popular street foods and shows how to make them.

There IS a catch, however. As I said, he's Vietnamese-AUSTRALIAN. Thus, the shows are on AUSTRALIAN television.

With my VPN (something a few of us have discussed here, before), I can just request to connect through Sydney or Melbourne and I have no trouble watching the full-episode videos on the show's home-network website, but I know that most (maybe all) of you don't have VPN service, so I started to look for FREE alternatives that you guys could possibly use (not just for this show's site, but for things like the BBC, as well).

I found a GREAT alternative, so Jean, Alina and anyone else interested in some of these shows, take note!

The free service is called "HOLA!" and it can work as a Firefox or Chrome extension, as a separate Windows or Mac program or as an Android app. Once installed, it makes use of separate, individual "scripts" to handle each site, so you also need to install those (or enable someof the already-included ones, if they are for the sites you want).

At first, I didn't have much luck with the Firefox extension, but I have quite a few other thing installed in Firefox that could have been getting in the way.

The Chrome extension, on the other hand, worked beautifully and I was able to watch both Luke Nguyen's Greater Mekong (Australia) and Celebrity MasterChef (England) with no problems.

If you would like to give it a try, here's how to do it:
  1. Go to the Hola! site.
  2. Install the version of Hola that is appropriate for you.
  3. If you want to watch Luke Nguyen's show on SBS, install their SBS script.
  4. If you want to watch the BBC, install their BBC script from there.
  5. Once those scripts are installed and are in your list of Hola sites, make sure to click the upper-right corner of each of them to enable them.
  6. After that, any time you go to either of those sites, it will go through Hola and not be blocked by your not being in their countries.
  7. All of your other browsing will be normal and NOT go through Hola (i.e. it only does sites for which you have scripts and whose scripts you have enabled).
Give it a try. I'm sure there are many more sites for which it will work.

Enjoy!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Fascinating Asian-cooking show... by labradors (...but there's a cat...)
When I get a chance I will try this, Labs. Vietnamese cooking is one of my favorite cuisines. First I'm going to check Hulu though. They carry a lot of different programs.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fascinating Asian-cooking show... by Mare749 (When I get a chance ...)
Luke Nguyen had another show, as well: Luke Nguyen's Vietnam. Unfortunately, the webpage for that show doesn't have the episode videos, but it does have the recipes from both seasons. (You don't need "Hola" or a VPN for the recipes - only for the video.)

If you do check out the videos, also take a look at the multi-video (several short segments) interview where he talks about his family's escape from South Vietnam during the war, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fascinating Asian-cooking show... by labradors (Luke Nguyen had anot...)
Thank you, I will!
Maryann

Re: Re: Fascinating Asian-cooking show... by labradors (Luke Nguyen had anot...)
He has had shows on The Cooking Channel - I really enjoyed them.

Right now with our limited data plan and the really crappy wifi here we can barely watch 2 min video clips let alone TV shows and movies.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fascinating Asian-cooking show... by Harborwitch (He has had shows on ...)
You're right, Sharon! I knew his name sounded familiar. I have seen his show on the cooking channel and loved it.

Don't know what channels others have, but the cooking channel is called "Create" here and is one of four channels that are connected to PBS.
Maryann

Re: Re: Fascinating Asian-cooking show... by Mare749 (You're right, Sharon...)
We tape both of his programs, I think they are both on our PBS. Strange to hear him talk with an australian accent, but, the dishes are great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.