Audio Books
  Re: (...)
For those that listen to these where do you get them? I was looking on Amazon and the audio CD's are expensive. I do t need them to ***** me a CD. Is there a place to download them?

I download books all the time from Amazon for my iPad and many are free books. Derek wants to try an audio book, so thus I'm on a quest

Thanks!
  Re: Audio Books by DFen911 (For those that liste...)
We have a monthly membership at Audible.com. It's 14.95 a month and that gives us 1 credit - usually enough to buy a book a month. Libraries are also good sources - some of them provide downloads to your player. They also have "walk-arounds" that are really small, you just add AAA battery and your own earbuds.

Audible does have trials - I think right now you can download "Name of the Wind" for free - and they usually have the first 3 months at 9.95. They also have special deals where you can get books for 4.95 to 9.95 (we don't use a credit for those). Check their facebook page. If you have any more questions holler - we've been doing this for almost 8 or 9 years.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Audio Books by Harborwitch (We have a monthly me...)
Audible.com is a branch of Amazon and Sharon's description of that is very good.

Of course, most of the books they would have are more current and are very much copyrighted. As you mentioned, Denise, they can be pretty expensive - even what you may download from Audible.

As an alternative, if you don't mind older books that are in the public domain AND are not read by paid professionals nor by anyone famous (e.g. NOT The Screwtape Letters read by John Cleese), then Librivox is a great resource. By all means, check it out.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Audio Books by labradors (Audible.com is a bra...)
Labs most of the books are 1 credit ($14.95), some are more - but we look for the best bang for our $14.95.

Our local library here has lots of books thatcan downloaded - but they have an expiration date on them so that after a certain time frame they cannot be listened to.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Audio Books by Harborwitch (Labs most of the boo...)
Thanks guys going to check out all avenues. I think I may try our local library and see if they have something that might interest Derek. He doesn't read novels, never has. But he thought he might like to try books on tape that he could listen to while on the treadmill.
  Re: Re: Audio Books by Harborwitch (Labs most of the boo...)
Yes. Many libraries use the "Overdrive" system, now, and do have audio books available.

Either way, Librivox is still a good source for audio recordings of books that are in the public domain, like classics such as The Call of the Wild.
  Re: Re: Audio Books by labradors (Yes. Many libraries...)
I have been using the "Overdrive" system for a few years now and really enjoy it. It is very easy to use with a great selection of books to download quickly to your computer, then to your Ipod or MP3 player.

Our library also carries "Playaways" which some people really enjoy. It's a tiny MP3 player with one book on it and the batteries must be provided because I have never had to put any in one. They also provide you with clean ear buds that are changed with each return or you can use your own.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Audio Books by Mare749 (I have been using th...)
An alternative to audio books might be podcasts. iTunes U also has free courses both in audio and video. If he does not like fiction, that might be a great alternative.
  Re: Re: Audio Books by Cubangirl (An alternative to au...)
Just wish there was a way to use iTunes without having it install all that extra cr@p on my computer. I do NOT have an iPod, so the bloody program should NOT assume that I do by installing the "BonJour" service, the "iTunesHelper" service, etc., etc., etc. ad nauseum. I refuse to contaminate my machine with that garbage, so when someone asks me to check out something on iTunes for them, I either tell them to take a flying leap or I install iTunes in a sandbox on an otherwise unused machine. iTunes U DOES have a lot of good stuff, but they give you absolutely NO options to install ONLY iTunes without all the other bloatware.

If you want free courses and don't want to put up with iTunes, just go to MIT Open Courseware or the like.
  Re: Re: Audio Books by labradors (Just wish there was ...)
Lab, since they have an iPad, I assume iTunes is already loaded on their computer as it is on mine as I have both an iPad and an iPhone. Talk about useless loading, I wish Windows would not load IE and other junk I don't use, but they do as well.