Shrimp Q
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Since I'm not really familiar with buying and keeping shrimp, I have a question.

I see that all shrimp is previously frozen, I guess unless you live on a coast where they can be caught live and served quickly.

When I buy them previously frozen in the store, how much fridge time do I have before I cook them? I ask because I'm making that Shrimp with Basil-Garlic Butter recipe and I just pulled the container out of the fridge - bought them Friday - to de-vein and de-shell, which I didn't have to de-vein, yay! - but they had a slight odor. Not bad, but is keeping them in the fridge for a couple days a problem?

What do you do?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Shrimp Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Sinc...)
Geez, someone just deleted a response to your query and knocked out my LONG reply!! Shoot.

Anyway, briefly - try to buy frozen shrimp - better chance that they have never been completely thawed and refrozen. Ask the fish person for some from the freezer rather than take what's in the display case.

Shrimp thaw so quickly - just put in bowl of cold water and in 30 minutes or less you're ready to go, so you don't have to thaw in the refrigerator ahead of time.

IF I ever have to hold thawed/fresh shrimp overnight before using always keep them over ice. Just one bowl inside another and wrap tightly.

All this doesn't help with you problem today - I'm going to say after rinsing them, the slight odor you're smelling should be gone. Good Luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by cjs (Geez, someone just d...)
Going with Jean on this one, and ditto on buying frozen shrimp- I never buy thawed shrimp in the case. Buys you a little more time.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by cjs (Geez, someone just d...)
I agree with Jean, never buy shrimp that has been defrosted. You lose the quality. They just take a couple of minutes to defrost if you run cold water over them. Buy them out of the freezer case and read the label to ensure they were frozen when caught.

I usually buy shell on, deveined (lazy) frozen shrimp (prawns are shrimp btw), small ones for salads, bigger ones for pasta, and the biggest for things like Baked Shrimp Scampi (fantastic recipe). Don't discard the heads, instead use them to make shrimp stock which you can then use instead of clam juice, or to bring extra flavor to pasta with shrimp.
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by Cubangirl (I agree with Jean, n...)
Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

So you can buy frozen shrimp that hasn't been cooked yet? I never knew this.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by BarbaraS (Wow! Thanks for all...)
They really are the best, Barbara!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by cjs (They really are the ...)
I have to hit the Shop Rite today. I'll look for them! Thanks!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by BarbaraS (I have to hit the Sh...)
I said don't discard the heads, but I buy headless ones, so I meant to say don't discard the shells. Saw a crispy fried shrimp head dish on Master Chef that everyone loved, but I've never had shrimp heads.
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by Cubangirl (I said don't discard...)
I haven't either, Alina. They are suppose to be really tasty, but just haven't had the nerve to try it. They are very popular at Asia Foods, so one of these days, maybe....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Shrimp Q by Mare749 (I haven't either, Al...)
I save whatever I have for stock from shrimp. I "sucked' the head once......don't know if I will again.
www.achefsjourney.com