New (to me) - Brown Clamshell Mushrooms
  Re: (...)
Roy called from the store and said Safeway is starting to carry more 'gourmet'/exotic mushrooms and rattled off a few names I'd never heard of. Anyway, he brought home (for our first try) Brown Clamshell mushrooms.

This is what I found about them –
“As the name implies, cooking with the Brown or Alba Clam Shell evokes the subtle flavors of seafood.

Clam Shell mushrooms should be thoroughly cooked. This mushroom will enhance seafood, pork, or chicken dishes. The versatile Clamshel, also known as Hon- or Buna-Shimeji, is distinguished by its mild shellfish flavor. Its quarter-size caps with 2 to 3 inch white stems retain a crunchy texture even after the requisite thorough sautéing. We recommend a hot sauté to coax the most flavors out of this mushroom. The taste may be further enhanced with garlic or shallots. The Clamshell is a pleasant addition to seafood soups or bisques, stew, sauces, or stir-fries.”

The minute I started sautéing them with the onions for the topping, the briny aroma just exploded. They smelled so good!! I’ve never heard of them before. They are just delicious!

[Image: Aug11MushroomampOnionPizzatobake_zpsa9260e1f.jpg]

[Image: Aug11MushroomampOnionPizzaBaked_zps9ea43d34.jpg]

forgot to add a picture of the mushrooms -[Image: mushroom_zpse3468896.jpg]

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: New (to me) - Brown Clamshell Mushrooms by cjs (Roy called from the ...)
I have seen those but never knew what to do with them. Will be trying them now! Your pizza looks delicious.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New (to me) - Brown Clamshell Mushrooms by Mare749 (I have seen those bu...)
Maryann, with the subtle sea/briny flavor, I'm trying to figure out how else to use them without overpowering them. By the way this is one of the 400 cal. fix ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New (to me) - Brown Clamshell Mushrooms by cjs (Maryann, with the su...)
Only my opinion, but I think less is more and wouldn't mess with perfection. If I find them when shopping this week, I'm going to just do a simple pasta dish like mushroom orzo.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New (to me) - Brown Clamshell Mushrooms by Mare749 (Only my opinion, but...)
You're right Maryann - think that's why they were so good on the pizza. Simple flavors.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New (to me) - Brown Clamshell Mushrooms by cjs (You're right Maryann...)
That looks awesome! I'm thinking a simple dish as well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.