Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm making a repeat mushroom and onion pizza with the Brown Clamshell mushrooms - it was so good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm not sure. I need to check with the kids. If steak is not on the menu in the mountains this weekend, we may do steaks tonight. I'll check in later to confirm.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by Gourmet_Mom (I'm not sure. I nee...)
I have a taste for something with shrimp, so will probably make Spicy Shrimp with Creole Sauce over hot rice.

Feels like Autumn is in the air!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by Mare749 (I have a taste for s...)
I am in debate mode, here are my options:
leftover soup OR something with a billion cherry tomatoes. I have three plants that are bursting! Two yellow sunshine ones and one medium red . Does anyone have any suggestions for a good recipe? I am looking for a warm dish, as I am kind of sick of cherry tomato salad at this point
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by Mare749 (I have a taste for s...)
William came home and announced we are cleaning out the fridge since we leave tomorrow.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by Gourmet_Mom (William came home an...)
Pizza!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by BarbaraS (Pizza!![br][br]Barba...)
Jody, I'm in the same predicament as you and I found this in my email this a.m. and will be making it, I think tomorrow. Between the cherry tomatoes and basil, this one is right up my alley!!

Capellini with Fresh Tomato Pesto + Pecorino SOON

By CarolineWright • August 13, 2013 • 0Comments - Every week, Caroline Wright creates simple, civilized recipes for Food52 that feed four -- for under $20, in under 20 minutes. Today: Tomato sauce is updated for summertime -- and gets a jolt of personality along the way. Food 52 Newsletter, 8/15/13

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1cup grape tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 tsp sun-dried or regular tomato paste
1/2 packed cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup crumbled walnuts
1/4 cup coarsely grated Pecorino, plus more for serving if desired
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
8 oz capellini

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, walnuts, basil, pepper flakes and Pecorino; pulse to combine. With motor running, add olive oil in a steady stream until a thick sauce forms.

2. Add capellini to boiling water and cook until al dente according to package instructions. Divide pasta among bowls and top with pesto. Sprinkle with additional Pecorino and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Serves 4

Author Notes
Capellini is a perfect pasta shape for summer: it cooks quickly and is best with just the whisper of a sauce to avoid a tangled mess on the plate. Pesto, an already beloved summer standby in my house, seemed like the perfect accompaniment -- with a twist, of course! I snagged some fresh tomatoes that were sitting on the counter to give my pesto a different flair from the traditional verdant variety. Twirled with the capellini, this sauce felt like the quickest summery response to a tomato sauce -- with a lot more personality. Next time I might try to switch up the herbs even more by adding a handful of parsley leaves or a few capers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by cjs (Jody, I'm in the sam...)
Oh! That sounds awesome! Now if I could only stop William from eating them all right off the bush! He's promised more bushes next year!

That and okra! I fixed him a jar of pickled vinegar in the fridge. We got a bunch of HUGE garlic cloves this year and added that to the jar with some of his cayenne peppers. Every time he finds some okra big enough, he cuts them and stuffs them in the jar! Then he snacks on them daily. More of those next year, too! LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by Gourmet_Mom (Oh! That sounds awe...)
Jody and Jean, too many cherry tomatoes was the story of my life last summer. I didn't even plant tomatoes this year because I spent so much time trying to figure out how not to waste them last summer. Guess what? The ones that fell to the ground last summer when we were out of town are growing again and taking over my small herb garden. Who knew tomatoes could become invasive weeds!

Tonight we're having an old favorite from C@H ...the Pecan-Crusted Chicken Salad. John is already drooling over the crumbs that he adds to his salad as croutons!
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/15/13 by karyn (Jody and Jean, too m...)
The same problem this year except the birds seem to be pooping parsley all over! I have parsley coming up in every container.
www.achefsjourney.com