Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload
  Re: (...)
Since so many of us seem to have a great production of tomaotes, I thought maybe we should have a thread for some ideas -

Last night I made pasta with a tomato 'pesto' and while it wasn't the prettiest dish, the flavor was very good!!

[Image: Aug16PastawTomatoPesto_zps3f4a4de6.jpg]

Here's the recipe -

http://www.grouprecipes.com/136753/capel...orino.html

Here's the recipe I posted for Jody last week - might as well have it here also. We should end up with a lot of good ideas!!

-----------
Jody, I'm in the same predicament as you and I found this in my email this a.m. and will be making it, I think tomorrow. Between the cherry tomatoes and basil, this one is right up my alley!!

Capellini with Fresh Tomato Pesto + Pecorino SOON

By CarolineWright • August 13, 2013 • 0Comments - Every week, Caroline Wright creates simple, civilized recipes for Food52 that feed four -- for under $20, in under 20 minutes. Today: Tomato sauce is updated for summertime -- and gets a jolt of personality along the way. Food 52 Newsletter, 8/15/13

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1cup grape tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 tsp sun-dried or regular tomato paste
1/2 packed cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup crumbled walnuts
1/4 cup coarsely grated Pecorino, plus more for serving if desired
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
8 oz capellini

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, walnuts, basil, pepper flakes and Pecorino; pulse to combine. With motor running, add olive oil in a steady stream until a thick sauce forms.

2. Add capellini to boiling water and cook until al dente according to package instructions. Divide pasta among bowls and top with pesto. Sprinkle with additional Pecorino and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Serves 4

Author Notes
Capellini is a perfect pasta shape for summer: it cooks quickly and is best with just the whisper of a sauce to avoid a tangled mess on the plate. Pesto, an already beloved summer standby in my house, seemed like the perfect accompaniment -- with a twist, of course! I snagged some fresh tomatoes that were sitting on the counter to give my pesto a different flair from the traditional verdant variety. Twirled with the capellini, this sauce felt like the quickest summery response to a tomato sauce -- with a lot more personality. Next time I might try to switch up the herbs even more by adding a handful of parsley leaves or a few capers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by cjs (Since so many of us ...)
Jean do you ever slow roast them (Ina has a great recipe) and then use them in place of sundried tomatoes? Sundried are ok, but these are wonderful. I tend to grab one off the tray every time I go by.
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by Cubangirl (Jean do you ever slo...)
Yes, I do and I'm like you I have to make enough for the nibbling.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by cjs (Yes, I do and I'm li...)
Lorraine and I were 'talking' and this one needs to be on this thread also - such a great summer salad

Fire-Roasted Corn Salad

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...;vc=#Post153971
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by cjs (Lorraine and I were ...)
This recipe is for Jody and anyone else who might not have it.

Chicken Linguine with candied tomatoes

1/4 cup pine nuts
salt to taste
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast -- cubed and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 T. garlic -- minced
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 pound dry linguine
1 bag fresh spinach (9 oz.)
4 ounces soft goat cheese -- crumbled
3/4 pound cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the linguine and spinach.

Toast the pine nuts in a large saute pan over medium heat until golden, 3 minutes, tossing often. Transfer pine nuts to a plate and season with salt. Return pan to the burner.

Saute chicken in 3 T. oil over medium-high heat until brown, 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds.

Deglaze with sherry, then add the broth. Boil for 1 minute; cover and set chicken aside.

Cook the linguine according to package directions. Just before draining, add the spinach, cook 30 seconds, then drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the water. Toss pasta and spinach with the goat cheese and chicken mixture in a large bowl; thin with pasta water, if necessary. Cover and keep warm.

Saute tomatoes in 1 T. oil for 2 minutes over medium-high heat in the pan used for the chicken. Add the sugar and vinegar; simmer until syrupy, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt.

Garnish pasta with tomatoes and pine nuts.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Perfect Pasta"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by Mare749 (This recipe is for J...)
My Favorite ever C@H recipe!! Although, I use boneless thighs. This is my go-to quick lunch if the girlfriends drop by.

Jean, what a great idea for staff lunch, will be taking this to work with me. Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by pjcooks (My Favorite ever [ur...)
Yes some good ideas here!

The pizza topping from last night was very good also -
Charred Cherry Tomatoes and Pesto

[Image: Aug17CharredCherryTomatoesampPestoPizza_zps5d652db5.jpg]

http://www.grouprecipes.com/136760/charr...pizza.html
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by cjs (Yes some good ideas ...)
This recipe is not for cherry tomatoes, but is a tomato recipe so thought this might be the place to post it.

Heather just made this for a before dinner appy and it was just delicious. She took large tomatoes and sliced them 1/4" thick, salted them and placed on paper towels to drain.

Then she mixed cream cheese, salt and pepper, garlic powder and minced up a little bit of fresh basil. This was spread on half of the tomatoes, then topped with the other half, like a sandwich.

We dusted them with flour, dipped in egg wash, then into panko. They were fried for 3 minutes per side in a large skillet with butter and olive oil. Wow!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by Mare749 (This recipe is not f...)
I guess Wow is right - doesn't this sound good!! I'm not a green tomato fan, but I'm thinking along those lines in addition to ripe ones.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grape/Cherry Tomato Overload by cjs (I guess Wow is right...)
Maryann, that sounds soooo good, I'm drooling!

And the Candied Cherry Tomato recipe is my favorite recipe, also!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.