What to do with leftover lefse dough
  Re: (...)
If you have any leftover! I made an awful lot of dough the other day and did not know if the cooked lefse could be frozen. So, that evening I decided to turn the leftover dough into potato bread.

I mixed up 2 tsp. of yeast in some water, added a couple spoonfuls of sugar, then added an egg, a bit more salt, and maybe a half cup of flour. I mixed this into the lefse dough and kneaded it with the dough hooks for at least 5 minutes, adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough was smooth and clearing the sides of the bowl.

After placing the dough on a wooden board with flour, I kneaded it by hand for just a few minutes, then patted it out and rolled it up into a loaf, then placing it in a glass bread pan to rise for about an hour. After that, it went into a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.

Although Ron wasn't crazy about the lefse the way the rest of us were, he was very enthusiastic about the bread and has been toasting it for breakfast all week.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by Mare749 (If you have any left...)
Maryann, I wish my Grandma Shelledy was alive so I could tell her about your idea. After the initial shock of all the lefse not being made and eaten..... she would have saluted you for your ingenuity!!

Now I'm torn - do I ever want l/o dough???????????
UFDA!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by cjs (Maryann, I wish my G...)
Jean, the only reason I had so much dough leftover is because I made such a huge amount. I was unsure about the potatoes because it called for large potatoes and mine were more like small to medium. So, I just cooked more potatoes and of course it needed a lot of flour to finally come together.

Next time you make this recipe, could you give me a rough weight estimate on the potatoes? BTW, I'm almost sorry that I made the bread now. Katie and Abby told their mom they wanted more lefse with butter and sugar!
Maryann

Re: Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by Mare749 (Jean, the only reaso...)
Hey there, good for Katie and Abby!!!

Oh alright, I'll make lefse again and weigh the ingredients - that is a darn good idea.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by cjs (Hey there, good for ...)
Maryann

Re: Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by Mare749 ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
Okay, then, the question remains: CAN either the dough or the already-made lefse be frozen with good results after thawing?

I have another question, as well. How much flour should I expect to use? The recipe says "Flour as needed for rolling out the lefse" which, to me, means it's only going to be used on the work surface to keep the dough from sticking, but later the recipe says "Add flour just until workable (the dough will be fairly dry, but it will stay together to be rolled out)." THAT part makes it clear that the flour will be added TO the dough, NOT just used for "rolling out." I know the amount would have to be approximate, since the exact amount of potatoes isn't given (only 5 "large"), but what is the approximate amount: a teaspoon? a tablespoon? a cup or more?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by labradors (Okay, then, the ques...)
Oh crap, I don't remember...have a cup handy, maybe 1 1/2?

yes lefse freeze well. to 'reheat' (hate that word) - warm on a dry griddle or grill.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by cjs (Oh crap, I don't rem...)
Labs, I seem to remember needing more like 2-3 cups, but as I said earlier, I made a lot of potatoes.
Maryann

Re: Re: What to do with leftover lefse dough by Mare749 (Labs, I seem to reme...)
Okay. That will give me at least some kind of range. Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?