New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived
  Re: (...)
Have some mixed feelings on this one. This issue is all about comfort food. Fortunately, there are a few "lighter" options that sound good that I am more open to trying. These would be "Stir-Fried Leeks with salt and pepper shrimp, Tomato-Chipotle Soup (I know, chipotle again!) and the Light Chicken Francese.

On a cold fall day when we want a comfort food fix, I will probably try the Hot Brown Casserole as it really does look delicious. The Mint Julep Fruit salad on the side sounds tasty, too.

One last note, the "Caramel Apple Cupcakes" look outstanding. Just might have to make those too.

Does anyone want to do the Light Chicken Francese for a review dinner? There is an Arugula and Apple Salad on the side. I'll be glad to post the recipes if we can get some participation.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by Mare749 (Have some mixed feel...)
Hey Maryann, I was just coming on to talk about this issue. Just got it in the mail and was scanning through it. I have mixed feelings for this issue too. I saw a few I am interested in trying, but it is not what I am usually looking for in the magazine. Funny though - I will actually try more than a few things. Quick or hearty meals to feed hungry kids. One of them is just a remake of the tatertot casserole, but I did think the hot brown looked good. And the tomato soup. My kids love soup for lunch, so may be trying the others as well.

There were two things that stood out as interesting to me. Getting on the band wagon with the no-knead bread. And on Page 17 "The Test Kitchen Challenge". It reminds me of the Mysterybox/challenge dinners so many participate in. Hmmmm.....

I would be interested in the "Light Chicken Francese" as a review dinner. It was on my list to try.

The cupcakes do look fantastic! I'll probably have to make the smokes cookies too with the kids.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by esgunn (Hey Maryann, I was ...)
". And on Page 17 "The Test Kitchen Challenge". It reminds me of the Mysterybox/challenge dinners so many participate in. Hmmmm..... "

Excuse me??? They are offering a challenge?? And no credit to all of us for the idea??? Haven't seen the issue yet, but I'm in for a dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by cjs (". And on Page 17 "T...)
This sounds so much like the challenges on the board - just a little easier...This is what is posted in the magazine:

The Test Kitchen Challenge
Visit your root cellar (If you have one) for potatoes, beets, or squash. Chop a mirepoix of onions, carrots, and celery. Choose any of the "pantry" items - bacon, canned tomatoes, any broth, and cheese, and frozen vegetables. Then add a protein (if you like) and two wild card ingredients. Finally Salt, black pepper, oil or butter, garlic and flour all count as freebies or staples.

It is listed in the soup feature articles. So I think the intent is to get people to branch out on their own and create with out a specific recipe in mind. Great idea!

I just wish they would pay more credit to the board and our ideas/comments/reviews because I see so many things that have been talked about turn up in the magazine. THey could have even posted "visit our web site and forum and post pictures of your creations!"
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by esgunn (This sounds so much ...)
I got my issue too and on a quick glance, meh.

I will look in to it more later.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by BarbaraS (I got my issue too a...)
This sounds very similar to FC's create your own XXX series. I love those because they let you pick the combinations, just provide a starting place for proportions depending on what is picked. I'll have to check the issue. I am so behind in my cooking magazines right now, that they'll be out of season by the time I go through the back log.
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by Cubangirl (This sounds very sim...)
I agree with Erin. :|
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by DFen911 (I agree with Erin. :...)
I'm a bit underwhelmed. The leeks/shrimp stir fry and the tomato chipotle soup are interesting, but the soup is a bit ubiquitous. I may try the the beef & chorizo pozole. That is more of a change and I rarely eat hominy .
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by Old Bay (I'm a bit underwhelm...)
So, Mr. Bill - you and Jane are now home??? Be sure to let me know your schedule for the months of October thru Mar/Apr........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New issue #101 Sept./Oct. has arrived by cjs (So, Mr. Bill - you a...)
Quote:

So, Mr. Bill - you and Jane are now home??? Be sure to let me know your schedule for the months of October thru Mar/Apr........

No long trips. Periodic multi day visits to Austin and Plano to see kids & grand kids. We are in an "accumulation of cash flow" mode! Please come see us again! Our next major trip will be Oct '14 and probably involve Canada. No major parties.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".