Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome!
  Re: (...)
It's time to start doing birthday dinners again, so thought I would get the ball rolling and post one. Hopefully some of our new friends in the neighborhood will join in too.

Since everyone is so busy these days and a lot of us are trying to eat healthier, I chose a light menu, but added a dessert because Erin mentioned it and it sounds fun.

So, here it is. For anyone who is not sure what to do, just prepare this meal, all or part of it, any time during the next two weeks. Then, on September 9th, we will all post our reviews. See you then!

LIGHT CHICKEN FRANCESE

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6-8 oz. each) -- cut crosswise into four pieces
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, combined with 1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and black pepper
2 egg whites, beaten with 1 T. skim milk or water
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley -- divided
1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
1 lemon -- thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 200° with a baking sheet topped with a wire tack inside.

For the chicken, place pieces inside a resealable plastic bag with a little water added. Pound pieces with the flat side of a meat mallet until 1/4-inch thick to form cutlets.

Dredge cutlets in 1/2 cup flour mixture; shake off excess. Evenly coat cutlets in egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge cutlets again in flour mixture; shake off excess.

Heat 2 tsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Cook half the cutlets until golden on both sides, about 6 minutes total, then transfer to prepared baking sheet in oven to keep warm; repeat with remaining 2 tsp. oil and cutlets.

For the sauce, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in the same skillet over medium; add onion and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp. flour and cook 1 minute.

Whisk in broth, wine, and lemon juice, increase heat to medium-high and bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium and cook, whisking occasionally, until mixture reduces slightly and thickens.

Add butter to skillet; swirl to melt. Add 1 Tbsp. parsley and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper; add lemon slices to coat with sauce. Serve cutlets with sauce and lemon slices; garnish with remaining 1 Tbsp. parsley.
Servings: 4
Per serving: 284 calories

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Magazine, Issue #101, page 25"

Serving Ideas : Pair with Arugula & Apple Salad for a light meal.
--------------------------

ARUGULA & APPLE SALAD

2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
6 cups arugula
1 Pink Lady apple -- cored and thinly sliced
1 ounce shaved Parmesan
1/4 cup walnuts -- toasted and chopped

For the vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic, and Dijon, season with salt and pepper.

For the salad, toss arugula, apple, Parmesan, and walnuts with vinaigrette to coat.
Servings: 4
Per serving: 179 calories

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Magazine, Issue #101, page 25"
------------------------------

S'MORE COOKIES

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and kosher salt
1 stick unsalted butter -- softened (8 Tbsp.)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup each granulated sugar and packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
24 large marshmallows -- halved horizontally
48 Hershey chocolate bar pieces (4 bars)

Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Cream butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla until incorporated.

Scoop dough with #60 scoop (about 1 Tbsp.) onto greased baking sheets.

Bake cookies 4 minutes. Top each with a marshmallow half and bake until golden 4-5 minutes more. Transfer cookies to cooling racks, press chocolate pieces on top, and let stand 5 minutes.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Magazine, Issue #101, page 47"
Yield:
"4 dozen"
  Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by Mare749 (It's time to start d...)
Totally on board for the lightened chicken francese. And I wish we had pink lady apples here already! I am anxiously awaiting the honey crisp apple arrival but that's neither here nor there.

Sounds good!
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by Trixxee (Totally on board for...)
The Pink Lady apples are just what is recommended for their tart and tangy flavor, but we may have to substitute according to availability.

Trixxe, I'm glad you like what I picked. I'm hoping that Labs will join us when he gets back and I thought this menu might be easy for him due to limited availability of products where he lives.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by Mare749 (The Pink Lady apples...)
My chicken Francesa (finished with Grand Marnier) is my stepson's favorite meal I make. He would kill me if I tried anything else.
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by Cubangirl (My chicken Francesa ...)
I'm in Maryann - sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by cjs (I'm in Maryann - sou...)
I'm in also.
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by losblanos1 (I'm in also....)
I'm in

Recipe looks good
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by mjkcooking (I'm in [br][br]Rec...)
This looks really good! With the start of school, I can't commit, but if I can work it in, I will. The past few days have been a nightmare!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---everyone is welcome! by Gourmet_Mom (This looks really go...)
If I do join in on this one, it will only be for the chicken, since it's the only one for which I can get the ingredients. No arugula here, and the only Graham crackers in the stores are in pre-made pie crusts which would, of course, have other ingredients. (No problem, since I pretty much only like actual campfire S'Mores, so wouldn't be too excited enough about reconstructing them into cookies.)

I'm only just back from my first (and longer) trip and still have a day trip on Wednesday, so I won't be back to real cooking until Thursday. Since I have other [lefse] experiments already in mind, as well, I may just skip this one.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?