Sardinia Dinner Party
  Re: (...)
Last night we were honored to be included in a dinner party "almost" club. Local fellow has been giving multi-course dinner parties for years, and we were invited to join them for this one. Here is how it went...

Wine Masters David and Jennifer from Wind Rose Cellars, a local winery supplied us with the wnoderful matching wines and they did a great job.
[Image: Aug26WindRoseCellarsJenniferDavid_zpscbe0a6d2.jpg]

Our neighbors with the wood fired pizza oven took over the first appetizer - pizza, but had to make it in the oven. Very good tho.
[Image: Aug26AppetizerpizzaKevin_zpsebc6fc6e.jpg]

Smoked Salmon Spread
[Image: Aug26SmokedSalmonSpreadGeo_zps123da596.jpg]

Amuse-Bouche - this was yummy!!
[Image: Aug26Amuse-Bouche_zps4b8919d7.jpg]

My starter - Goat Cheese in Grape Leaves with Tomato and Olive salad. I was very pleased with this dish and will probably do it again...after the cheese is wrapped (a day ahead), the dish is very easy and fast to put together. And it sure helped to find juicy, meaty Heirlooms.
[Image: Aug26GoatCheeseinGrapeLeavesMe_zps47eca76b.jpg]

Sardinia Minestrone with basil pesto - Loved this one, also
[Image: Aug26SardinianMinestroneGeo_zps3644250e.jpg]

George, our host, showing off the perfectly grilled plank salmon
[Image: Aug26GeoandEileen_zps3414efec.jpg]

The planked salmon plated - pulled from the heat at the perfect time and the flavor combination of the 'salsa' was great.
[Image: Aug26PlankRstdSalmonMarySueEd_zps3f725981.jpg]

Grilled Boneless Leg of Lamb - another hit with everyone
[Image: Aug26GrilledLegofLamb_zps709adb8d.jpg]

Hated to say but this was the least successful dish of the night - poor George (but he seemed happy with it... ) - Stuffed & Grilled double pork chops. The pork was so dry and tough, could not believe it and I almost choked when he said he brined it to keep it moist and tender. Hello? I did keep my mouth shut.
[Image: Aug26GrilledStuffedDoublePorkChop_zpseb339105.jpg]

Polenta cake with berries and a citrus glaze - wonderful ending to a wonderful evening.
[Image: Aug26PolentaCakewBerries_zps40fa4c21.jpg]

We met so many new folks and remet some that we've seen over the years here in town. There were 17 of us and the conversation never lagged.

The wines - we've never heard of this local winery before but their Barbera is one of the best I've tasted. And, of couse they get their grapes from eastern WA.

http://www.windrosecellars.com/

We got home at almost midnight and boy did we turn into sleepy pumpkins when we hit the driveway.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by cjs (Last night we were h...)
Every thing looks and sounds good! Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by Harborwitch (Every thing looks an...)
Wow, everything looks delicious, Jean. What fun to be invited to this dinner and meet some great new friends.

So, how was this done? Was it spread out over the course of several hours? Did you get up and walk around between courses? I'm only curious because someone has to clear the table, then the meat and seafood had to be cooked, which means the host would be missing from the party at that time.
Did they bring in paid help or did the guests all pitch in?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by Mare749 (Wow, everything look...)
We all pitched in and he clears the table as I do. And, this really is a boon for a large dinner party.

Have a 'site' (for me it's the courtyard just outside the kitchen door) - George had a large laundry room - and have tubs to hold each course's dishes. Worry about them the next day.

As each of us finished our courses, other would clear the table and we would collect our prepping things and get them out of the way.

Dinner was over a 5 hour time - very laid back and everyone pitched in. It really is easy to coordinate.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by cjs (We all pitched in an...)
It would have to be! Who could eat that much?

We went to a Chinese wedding reception many years ago and I wondered how in the world we were going to eat so many courses. There were 20 courses starting at 7 p.m., then at midnight, they did them all over again! We had to leave before midnight because our girls were babies at the time, but it sure was fun.

Oh, and thanks for the tips. Good idea about the dishes!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by cjs (We all pitched in an...)
Fabulous , Jean! How lucky you are to be part of this. Hopefully, one day when I retire...

Great pictures!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by Mare749 (It would have to be!...)
Had to respond to this one too, Maryann! 20 courses but I guess this isn't too hard to deal with

Do you remember what some of them were? I begin to space at 12...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by pjcooks (Had to respond to th...)
Great pictures!!!

So I'm curious who's jealous?

<<--oh that's right, this girl! What a fun event that must have been
  Re: Re: Sardinia Dinner Party by DFen911 (Great pictures!!! [i...)
Wonderful thread! I love the idea of shared clean up! I will be adopting that strategy!