Shrimp and Leek
  Re: (...)
Someone mentioned a recipe in new issue using shrimp and leek, it sounds absolutely wonderful. If anyone would post it here I would be eternally grateful and will be happy to move it over to the CAH forum on group recipes
Thanks in advance
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Shrimp and Leek by farnfam (Someone mentioned a ...)
Here you go:

STIR-FRIED LEEKS WITH SALT AND PEPPER SHRIMP

Makes 4 servings Total time: 35 minutes

Make the Frizzled Leeks first, then have everything ready before you start stir-frying

FOR THE SHRIMP, COMBINE:
2 tsps. sesame seeds, toasted
6 cups bias-sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. sugar
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on

FOR THE STIR-FRY,HEAT:
3 TBS. peanut oil, divided
2 tsps. minced fresh ginger
6 cups bias-sliced leeks, white and light green parts only

STIR IN:
¼ cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsps. low-sodium soy sauce
Cooked white rice (optional)

For the shrimp, combine sesame seeds, salt, pepper flakes, black pepper, and sugar. Pat shrimp dry with paper towels and toss with sesame seed mixture.

For the stir-fry, heat 2 TBS. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add shrimp and stir-fry until firm, 1–2 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat; transfer shrimp to a plate.

Heat remaining 1 TBS. oil in same skillet over medium-high.

Stir in ginger; cook 1 minute. Add leeks; stir-fry until softened, 3–4 minutes.Stir in bell pepper, broth, and soy sauce; simmer 1 minute.
Serve stir-fried leeks with rice, top with shrimp, and garnish with Frizzled Leeks.

Per serving: 262 cal; 12g total fat (2g sat); 143mg chol; 1249mg sodium; 22g carb; 3g fiber; 18g protein

FRIZZLED LEEKS

Frizzled leeks also make a great soup garnish or hamburger topper.
Makes 4 servings Total time: 20 minutes

TRIM:
1 leek
2 TBS. all-purpose flour

HEAT:
1 cup peanut oil
Salt to taste

Trim and discard the root end and the dark green part of the leek. Slice leek in half crosswise into two 3-inch pieces, then slice lengthwise into matchstick-sized strips. Rinse strips, then dry well; toss with flour.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high to 350°F. Fry strips in oil in two batches until crisp and golden, 1–2 minutes per batch; drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt.

Per serving: 50 cal; 4g total fat (1g sat); 0mg chol; 4mg sodium; 5g carb; 0g fiber; 1g protein

Cuisine at Home, September/October 2013
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by Cubangirl (Here you go:[br][br]...)
Love frizzled leeks - well frizzled anything, sage, basil, etc.

Got the mail yesterday and the magazine was in it, so I'll spend today looking for goodies.

This one looks good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by cjs (Love frizzled leeks ...)
serendipity! I have been pondering what to do with a few leeks in my fridge AND I just took some shrimp out of the freezer! Dinner is planned!
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by jodybarnett (serendipity! I have...)
Oh thank you thank you!! Can't wait to try this
Shopping today and leeks are on the list!!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by farnfam (Oh thank you thank y...)
Are we talking "1 lb. shrimp"??????
Forgot I just got the magazine - yes, 1 lb.

Alina, I'll edit the post for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by Cubangirl (Here you go:[br][br]...)
I'm assuming we only need 6 c of leeks, not 12, correct? This looks good, thanks for posting it!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by pjcooks (I'm assuming we only...)
I was confused about the amount of leeks as well, but yes it is six. I noticed it when I transferred the recipe to my LC. I copied it straight out of the digital version. Not sure why they put the leeks twice.
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by Cubangirl (I was confused about...)
I made it for lunch yesterday and it was really good. I halved the recipe since it was just the two of us. One suggestion though, use a flavored rice, like pineapple, regular white rice was bland. I didn't cut the leek for the frizzled leeks into even matchsticks, so they cooked uneven, but they were still delicious.

[Image: Stirfriedleeks4_zps9f64d022.jpg]
  Re: Re: Shrimp and Leek by losblanos1 (I made it for lunch ...)
Beautiful Blane, this is one I plan on making as well. Thanks for the tip on the white rice. We had some supposedly fried rice leftover from lunch out and it was super bland. We brought the leftovers home and I added sprinkles of garlic, turmeric and ginger before reheating in the microwave and it was a huge improvement. So, I was thinking maybe of doing a fake Cuban style yellow rice.