Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

Simple grilling today for us, flanken strips and potatoes and the last of my beautiful heirlooms.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Pork fried rice Maui style (topped with a fried egg) and egg rolls. Take out. the amount of homework last night scared me so I'm not taking any chances tonight. It's hard to juggle the homework, cooking and cleaning all at the same time.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by Trixxee (Pork fried rice Maui...)
"Pork fried rice Maui style (topped with a fried egg)" - sounds tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by cjs ("Pork fried rice Mau...)
Leftover LEMONGRASS AND SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES POACHED HALIBUT WITH ZUCCHINI AND PESTO.

It was so good, that while I normally wait a couple of days for leftovers, I'm doing this one again tonight. The fish was so good. Amazing how just the lemongrass and slow roasted tomatoes can flavor it. I left it in the fridge marinating almost 8 hours (fell asleep) so I was worried it might be mushy, but it was firm but super moist. Hardest part was opening the ziploc bags to extract the fish and the tomatoes without making a mess. This was the first time we'd use our lemongrass and boy is there a difference between it at the store bought.

The pesto on top of the fish was like icing on the cake, not needed but oh so good (see the Pesto with Pine Nuts and Pistachio for more info on the pesto.)

Anyway, now I wish I'd splurged and bought a bigger piece of fish, so we could have had 3 meals out of it instead of just 2. I love Costco's fresh halibut.

The recipe is a FC recipe and I'd be happy to post it if anyone wants it.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by Cubangirl (Leftover LEMONGRASS ...)
Yes please and thank you, Alina! For some reason we don't get a lot of halibut around here, but if you say that Costco has it, I'm going to try there.

Tonight we are having shrimp egg foo yung and steamed jasmine rice.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by Mare749 (Yes please and thank...)
Absolutely love halibut!! Sounds really good, Alina.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by cjs (Absolutely love hali...)
We're having Pork Tenderloin with Plum Chutney tonight. I'm serving it with brown rice pilaf and grilled broccolini. I made the chutney last night and it's delicious, so I'm looking forward to dinner.

Now I'm off to check out the halibut recipe Alina's raving about!
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by karyn (We're having [url=ht...)
Well we were going to do steak. But then my little eye spotted something interesting. A whole steelhead trout. It beaconed me over. I put in my cart all happy and proud. Fresh, wild caught, on sale and in my cart. Oh Yeah!

And then I promptly called Jean because I have never cooked up a whole fish before because we don't eat a lot of fish.

So tonight for dinner - Pecan Crusted Steelhead with Onion Gratin
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by DFen911 (Well we were going t...)
And , I so wish I was at Denise's house!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/28/13?? by cjs (And , I so wish I wa...)
Ok first off this onion gratin. Jean I am really sorry about this but...

There will be NO LEFTOVERS! Seriously where the hell have I been that I have not done this before?!

The fish just went on the oven - tick tock, tick tock....