Halibut poached in Lemongrass and Roasted Tomatoes
  Re: (...)
Here's the dish I made the other night. It was so easy and flavorful. The biggest surprise was how flavorful the fresh lemongrass and slow roasted tomato marinade and poach liquid make the fish. It was great even without the pesto. I am thinking what else can I marinate in the lemongrass and tomatoes.

Though it called for Halibut, any similar firm white fish would work. I only had 1 lb. of halibut which I cut into four pieces, next time I'll get at least 1½ lbs. so we can have 6 pieces.

This is how I made it. I lost track of time so the fish marinated for about 6 hours with no ill effects. Original called for 2 lemongrass stalks, but I used 3 from our plant. The original recipe called for ½ cup sundried tomatoes (not in oil) and had a very simple basil and garlic pesto (no nuts or cheese). I made with the adapted version of a Pine Nut and Pistachio Pesto, adapted Ina's Slow Roasted Tomatoes (we used regular from our garden)and increased the zucchini from 2 to 4.

I am putting all the adapted recipes below for your convenience. The Slow Roasted Tomatoes and Pesto can be made several days ahead and kept in the fridge. The web pages for the original versions are also included.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

POACHED HALIBUT WITH ROASTED TOMATOES, PESTO, AND ZUCCHINI***** Servings: 4

Original called for sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed), Ina's slow roasted tomatoes were subbed. I used my adapted Pesto with Pine Nuts and Pistachios instead of the Pesto included in the recipe. You can use your favorite pesto recipe.

Prep.: 25 min. Inactive: 4 hours Cooking: 20 min. Total: 4 hours and 45 minutes

FISH
1 cup slow roasted tomatoes (recipe below)
3 lemongrass stalks
3 tsps. Kosher salt, divided
24 oz. skinless halibut fillets (4 X 5-6-oz. 1" thick)
ZUCCHINI
2 TBS. extra-virgin olive oil
4 medium zucchini (4 cups)
1/4 tsp. Grains of Paradise (or black pepper)
4 garlic cloves
4 TBS. pistachio and pine nut pesto (recipe below)

FISH

Halve lemongrass crosswise and smash with the side of a chef's knife. Peel garlic cloves and finely mince, cut zucchini into medium dice.

Have ready a large bowl of ice water. In a 2 qt. saucepan, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, lemongrass, 2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1¾ cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the salt. Transfer to a medium bowl and set over the bowl of ice water. Stir frequently until chilled, 10 to 15 minutes. Put 1 halibut fillet in each bag. Divide the broth (including the tomatoes and lemongrass) among the 4 bags. Seal the bags, pressing out as much air as possible, and gently massage the fish to coat it all over. Or can place fish in a glass dish covered with broth. Turn fish every hour. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to season the fish.

Fill a 4 qt. pot with 3" of water and clip a deep-fat, probe, or instant-read thermometer to the side of the pot. Heat the water slowly over low heat to 140°F, about 15 minutes. Put the bags of fish in the water (the tops of the bags can stick out) and cook, maintaining a water temperature of 135°F to 145°F, until the center of the fish registers 130°F to 135°F on an instant-read thermometer (open the bags to check), 12 to 15 minutes. Or can poach fish in non-reactive pan, in water at 135° F. for same amount of time. Transfer the bags to a rimmed baking sheet and let sit for 5 minutes or if using pan, take off heat and let rest for 5 minutes.

ZUCCHINI

Meanwhile, heat 2 TBS. olive oil in a sauté pan or 12" skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.. Add the zucchini and ¼ tsp. kosher salt and cook, stirring often, until the zucchini is barely tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and grains of paradise or pepper.

Divide the zucchini among 4 dinner plates. Using scissors, snip off one corner of each bag and drain and discard the liquid. Open each bag and cut down the center perpendicular to the seal to expose the fish. Using a spatula, lift the fish from the bags and place on the plate with the zucchini. Discard the lemongrass; cut the tomatoes into bite size pieces if necessary. Serve the fish with a TBS. of the pesto on top, and the tomatoes and the zucchini on the side.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Fine Cooking, Halibut, Italian Basil, Lemongrass, Main Dish, Seafood, Tomatoes, Vegetables, Zucchini

Source: Fine Cooking, #123, 6/2013
Web Page: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/poach...chini.aspx

SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES INA ADAPTED***** Servings: 4

Can use any tomatoes, cut cherry or grape tomatoes in half. A halved onion can be roasted alongside the tomatoes for the same amount of time. The main difference between Ina's original Roasted Tomato and her Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad by splitting the difference and trying 300° F. convection for 1½ hours. Can also use onions, zucchinis, yellow squash and asparagus. Asparagus will take between 10 and 15 minutes and squashes, cut 1" rounds between 30 and 45 minutes, using the rest of the ingredients. Can be made several hours ahead of serving. Can be served with fresh mozzarella and julienned basil if desired.

Oven Temperature: 300°F

Prep.: 15 min. Cooking: 1 hour and 30 min. Inactive: 15 min. Total time: 2 hours

12 tomatoes
¼ cup good extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
1½ TBS. balsamic vinegar
2 large garlic cloves
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 300° F convection bake. Halve tomatoes lengthwise, remove seeds (and cores if desired). Peel and mince garlic cloves.

Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with ¼ cup of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with the garlic, sugar, 1½ tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper. Roast for 1½ hours until the tomatoes are concentrated and begin to caramelize. Allow the tomatoes to cool to room temperature then serve or refrigerate for later use.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Appetizers and Hors d'Ouvres, Food Network, Homemade Ingredient, Ina Garten, Make-Ahead, Salad, Tomatoes

Author: Ina Garten
Source: Back to Basics
Web Page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-g...index.html

PESTO WITH PINE NUTS & PISTACHIOS ADAPTED***** Servings: 6-8 Yield: 3 cups

Recipe calls for 8 cups cleaned and dried basil, 6 cups pressed down. If use salted pistachios, rub with paper towel to remove excess salt before toasting and reduce the salt by half. Nuts can be toasted in toaster oven for about 3 minutes on toast setting. If after tasting it needs more nuts, they can be added at the end without problems along with more oil and/or cheese if needed. Put in fridge with a light coat of oil and plastic wrap pressed against the pesto. It can be frozen in 1 cup containers (enough for 2 people) or refrigerator for at least 6 weeks. Use smoked sea salt if available.

5 stars - This was the best pesto I've made so far. Really like the combo of pistachios and pine nuts. May try with half Romano next time.

Preparation Time: 24 minutes Cooking Time: 6 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

1 Cuisinart food Processor
2/3 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup unsalted pistachios
6 cups basil leaves and flowers
1 large lemon
2 heads garlic
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (up to 1)
2 tsps. sea salt
1 TBS. Grains of Paradise
1 tsp. raw sugar
1⅓ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Zest and juice the lemons, skin and cut garlic into chunks. Toast the nuts in the toaster oven (3 minutes on medium/2 slice setting) or in a dry skillet. Grate the cheese with a micropalane or in the food processor. Do not crowd them too much. Set aside to cool.

While the nuts are cooling, fill the processor bowl with basil, slightly packed, but not too tight. You should have some basil left over; this will go in after the first part is ground.

Add the lemon juice and zest, garlic, 1 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, and crushed red pepper. Pulse till the basil is reduced in volume, add the rest of the basil and more oil. The oil and the lemon juice allow the basil to be ground down into a paste. The lemon juice is used for flavor, but also to keep the pesto bright green. Add all of the nuts and process again, adding olive oil as needed to make the paste. Add the cheese and more olive oil as needed. It should be a thick paste, but one that easily drops from a spoon. Once you have it all ground up, taste, add more seasoning if you need it.

Freeze in containers the size that you are likely to be using it. 1 cup servings are good for two people.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Appetizers and Hors d'Ouvres, Cheese, Cuisine@Home Forum, Homemade Ingredient, Italian Basil, Lemon, Make-Ahead, Nuts, Parmesan Cheese, Pesto, Pine Nuts, Pistachios, Sauces

Author: Devany Vickery-Davidson.
Source: Group Recipes
Web Page: http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...ge=0#Post153318

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Please let me know.
  Re: Halibut poached in Lemongrass and Roasted Tomatoes by Cubangirl (Here's the dish I ma...)
Thank you!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."