Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon??
  Re: (...)
Where the heck did summer go?????

Guess we'd better start spilling our Labor Day food ideas - Since I just realized it's this weekend, I have absolutely no idea yet.

Do have ribs in the freezer, tho. That's a good start. Anyone have any new fabulous side salads they have found lately?

Ooops, guess I can check out the Summer Salad Thread..... duh
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by cjs (Where the heck did s...)
I'm taking a brisket out of the freezer today for Monday
  Re: Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by DFen911 (I'm taking a brisket...)
We have no idea what we will be doing. In years past, we always went to the air show down on the lake, but since the president put an end to that, there will be no more air shows.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by Mare749 (We have no idea what...)
It's best that I wait until Monday to figure out a menu. I'd change my mind a zillion times between now and then if I tried to pick something today.
  Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by cjs (Where the heck did s...)
Well we're doing kebobs and grilled corn. I bought rib eye steaks and bamboo skewers. How long should I soak the skewers? I've never used wooden skewers before and it's been a long, long time since I've done kebobs.

Also, how long for the corn and at what temp on the grill?

Barbara<~~~brain dead from the new job...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by BarbaraS (Well we're doing keb...)
HOw are you liking it so far, Barbara??

1. soak your wodden skewers at least a couple hours.

2. Grilling corn - I can't find any of the threads right now, so here's how I do it. Clean the corn of husks and silk; rub with a little vege oil. Have your grill at medium to medium high, depending on how hot your grill works. I rotate the ears every 4 to 5 minutes about 1 quarter turn. If after 5 minutes, your corn hasn't charred a tad, turn the grill up a little and vice versa. Should take 15 to 20 minutes total.

Keep in mind grilled (or any cooked) corn waits for no man or woman - have dinner ready to go or do as we've finally learned to do, serve the corn as a separate course. Absolutely wonderful straight from the grill to the plate to be smother in butter and/or other of your favorites. Me, I'm a purist - nada touching my corn, just that wonderful flavor.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by cjs (HOw are you liking i...)
OMG Jean, this job is a perfect fit! Seriously! I am so happy!! Being brain-dead on a Friday is a good indication of a good week!!

And thanks for the corn info. SIL wrapped a bi-color in aluminum foil and it came out great. I figured grilled might take longer. And we're doing white corn fresh from the farm.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by BarbaraS (OMG Jean, this job i...)
My ribs are pre-baked, Orzo with everything is made, and 18 hour bread is working - Labor Day will be a snap.

I 'stole' a little of the orzo salad and mixed it with the innards of my 8-ball zucchini and stuffed them. Great flavors. They're in the oven now for a little snack later.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by cjs (My ribs are pre-bake...)
Still batching it! I'm having a bloody bull out of my father's glass, so I say I'm having a bloody with him and not drinking alone. Lunch will be a half panini (leftover) and dinner will be the stir fried leeks with salt and pepper shrimp from the new issue. I'm also cleaning the pizza oven for a party on the 14th. That's busy enough for me. I don't take Labor Day literally!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Labor Day Weekend??? How Did it Get Here So Soon?? by Old Bay (Still batching it! ...)
I'm making a pasta salad (from a box - going all out here), and will add some crumbled bacon and chopped grilled chicken and some extra veggies. Might toss it with a little ranch dressing.