Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take
  Re: (...)
Let me start out by saying 2 things - I love smoked trout more than anything else that I have ever smoked! And, two - this is darn long thread, but take what any of you want to from it (or nothing.... ) -

* Exported from MasterCook *

SMOKED SALMON TUTORIAL

Fresh salmon that has undergone a smoking process, usually by one of two methods - hot-smoking or cold-smoking.

Hot-smoking is a process by which the fish is smoked from 6 to 12 hours at temperatures ranging from 120° to 180°F. The time and temperature depend on the size of the fish, how close it is to the source of smoke and the degree of flavor desired.

In cold-smoking, a temperature of 70° to 90°F is maintained and the fish might remain in the smokehouse for anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks. There are many types of smoked salmon.

Indian-cure salmon is brined fish that has been cold-smoked for up to 2 weeks, which results in a form of salmon JERKY.

Kippered salmon - U.S. style - is a chunk, steak or fillet that has been soaked in a mild brine and hot-smoked. It's usually made from chinook salmon that has been dyed red.

European kippered salmon differs in that it's a whole salmon that has been split before being brined and cold-smoked.

Lox is brine-cured cold-smoked salmon, much of which is slightly saltier than other smoked salmon. Some lox, however, has had sugar added to the brine, which produces a less salty product. Lox is a favorite in American-Jewish cuisine, particularly when served with BAGELS and cream cheese.

Nova or Nova Scotia salmon is an idiom used in the eastern United States that broadly describes cold-smoked salmon.

Scotch-smoked, Danish-smoked and Irish-smoked salmon are all geographical references to cold-smoked Atlantic salmon (whereas the Pacific species - usually coho or chinook - treated in this manner is generally simply labeled smoked salmon ).

Squaw candy consists of thin strips of salmon that has been cured in a salt-sugar brine before being hot-smoked. Other fish such as trout and haddock can also be smoked.

---------------

Smoking Fish - Complete Guide

The preservation of fish has been an integral part of every seafaring culture. Over the course of thousands of years of drying, salting and smoking fish the technique has developed to a point where once common food has become a delicacy. In this article let's look at hot smoked fish. Cold smoking requires temperatures of around 80 degrees F. for several days. Hot smoking however can be done at temperatures of up to 200 degrees F. and only takes a few hours. It is best to start with a saltwater brine. The brining process is quick so don't worry about having to start out the day before. Plan on the fish being in the brine for about 15 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness. Also plan on 1 quart of brine per pound of fish.

The brine can be simply salt and water. 2 1/2 tablespoons of plain salt, meaning salt without iodine, per cup of water.

If you want to use tap water, let it sit in a large container without a lid to let the chlorine dissipate. The brine can also contain whatever seasonings you choose to add. You can replace some of the water with white wine, or you can add peppercorns, brown sugar, or any seasoning that you like with fish.

But what kind of fish to use? Any fish will work. However fattier fish will absorb more smoke flavor, so fish like salmon and trout are perfect for smoking. You can use whole fish or parts, but fillets with the skin still on are better than other cuts.

Most any kind of wood will work, but you might wish to use woods like alder or fruit woods. Salmon is usually smoked with alder, this is a tradition that dates back to the indigenous peoples of the northwestern United States. Of course you can use mesquite, oak or whatever your favorite smoke maker is. Because of the short smoke times, mesquite will not have a chance to impart too bitter of a taste, but I recommend using it sparingly.

If you can maintain a low smoking temperature, below 150 degrees F. for the first hour or two, then the fish will have more time to absorb smoke flavor. Turn up the heat after 2 hours to around 200 degrees F to finish it off. Make sure that the fish is heated all the way through to at least 165 degrees F. Remember when it comes to low temperature cooking it is always better to be safe than sorry.

On a final note, I would like to point out that not only does smoked fish make a great meal or appetizer, it also makes a great ingredient. Note: We love this: Try taking the meat from a smoked trout or similar fish and blend it together with some cream cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and you suddenly have a great spread for crackers. Many recipes call for smoked fish, from soups to salads to main courses. With the knowledge of fish smoking under your belt you will be able to make these dishes even better with home smoked fish.

------

Chili Pepper Smoked Trout

These smoked trout are loaded up with flavor and some heat from the chilies. They make a great meal or a great appetizer.

4 medium size trout, cleaned
8 green chili peppers, cut open with the seeds removed
1 lemon cut into thin slices, peel on
4 cloves garlic, cut into four pieces each
ground black pepper

Prepare smoker for a 3 hour smoke. Wash fish and remove all bones. Open and place inside 2 chilies, 2 slices of lemon and 1 clove of garlic. Place in smoker for 3 hours. When the trout are finished remove the stuffing and serve.

-----
Smoked Garlic Salmon

This hot smoked salmon is loaded with 10 cloves of garlic. While that might sound like a lot, once you've tried it you'll probably want to add more.

1 large (2 pounds or so) salmon fillet
10 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon oregano

Prepare smoker for a 4 hour smoke. Wash salmon fillet and place in a large smoker safe pan. Cover with other ingredients and place in smoker for 4 hours. Remove and serve

--------

Here's How:

Use only fresh fish or fish that was quickly frozen.

Clean fish, removing the head, tail, fins, etc.. Also remove any bruised or damaged flesh.

Wash in clean water.

Prepare a salt-water brine of 2 1/2 tablespoons plain salt to 1 cup of water. You need 1 quart of brine for 1 pound of fish.

Place fish in brine for 15 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of the fish.

Remove fish from brine and rinse with cold water.

Place fish, skin side down on oiled smoker rack.

Keep the temperature low, around 150° - 175° for the first 2 hours.

Increase heat after the first 2 hours to around 200° to 220°. (Note: I always try for 200° )

Continue smoking until fish is flaky and cooked through. Internal temp: 165°

Serve immediately or refrigerate. If you don't plan on eating the fish in a couple of days, wrap it tightly and put it in the freezer.

Tips:
To reduce the fishy smell, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice per cup of brine.

If this is your first try at smoking fish, I recommend not using an expensive fish. Try it out with the couple of cheaper fish until you get the hang of it.

-------

SMOKED TROUT W/SMOKED POBLANA SALSA & CHIPOTLE CREMA
Chef Steve Collins recipe

One of my favorite things to smoke is trout and my favorite wood to smoke it on is applewood. Other fruitwoods or nut woods work nicely also. The trout is brined so that it does not dry out in the smoking process. Serve this with triangles of warmed flour tortillas and/or blue and yellow corn tortillas. It is also great on your favorite cracker.
Makes 8 servings

4 trout, cleaned
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 quart water
1 lemon, sliced thinly
a couple of handfuls of your favorite wood smoking chips, soaked for at least 20 minutes
1 red onion, sliced thinly, to garnish

Mix the sugar, salt and water to make brine. Put half the lemon slices in the cavity of the fish. Place the fish in a gallon-size recloseable plastic bag along with the brine. Refrigerate for two hours.

Prepare the smoker. (Use whatever smoker and method you have) When the coals are ready, put the soaked wood chips on the coals. Put the remaining lemon slices on the grill and put the trout on top of the lemon slices. Note: Be sure to always use cooking spray on your smoker racks – so easy to clean later.

Close the smoker and let the trout smoke for 1 1/2 hours (internal temperature should be 165 degrees). Remove from smoker and let cool on a rack, uncovered, for an hour. Serve, or wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.

Poblano Salsa:
4 poblano chiles
1 pound tomatillos, peeled and washed
1 red onion
1 teaspoon oregano, (fresh is best but dry is fine as long as it's aromatic)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt, to taste

Put the chiles and tomatillos in the smoker at the same time you put the trout in. Take them out after an hour. Remove the seeds from the poblanos. Put the poblanos, tomatillos, onion, oregano and olive oil in the workbowl of a food processor and pulse until the chiles, tomatillos and onion are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Chipotle Crema:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chipotle from canned chipotle in adobo, finely chopped (this is available in the Mexican food aisle at most super markets)

Whip the cream. When it is stiff whip in the sour cream and the chipotle adobo.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by cjs (Let me start out by ...)
Here are some of the ways I use smoked trout -

Denise – this is how I lay the trout on a bed of lemons for smoking
[Image: SmokedGoldenTrout_zpsb3aba32d.jpg]
Not sure what sticking out of the fish – probably a temp probe…..

Smoked Trout with Comeback sauce (I think the sauce is C@H)
[Image: SmokedTroutwComeBackSauceAug232012_zpsaa51b075.jpg]

Smoked Trout Pizza with Caviar
[Image: SmkdTroutampCaviarPizzaMay1112_zps5fdcfbe5.jpg]

Tuna & Smoked Trout Pizza

[Image: TunaandSmokedTrout_zpse058d303.jpg]

Apple Smoked Trout – could hardly wait for it to get out of the smoker…
[Image: AppleSmokedTroutMay6_zps70e0a6fe.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by cjs (Here are some of the...)
Jean, do you remove the bones before or after smoking?

I tried grilling whole trout some years back but Ron didn't like it because of all the bones.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by Mare749 (Jean, do you remove ...)
No, never remove the bones - somehow to me all fish/meat cooked on the bone is much better. It can be a little pain in the rear, but oh so worth it to me.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by cjs (No, never remove the...)
Thanks for posting all this information, Jean. Very helpful advice. This is something that I would like to try again sometime. We had smoked fish when we were in Florida that was really delicious.
Maryann

Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by Mare749 (Thanks for posting a...)
This is great! Thanks Jean I am so looking forward to making a smoked steelhead now. Is the come back sauce the same one several of us did with the burgers a while back from the C@H mag?
  Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by DFen911 (This is great! Thank...)
yes.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by cjs (No, never remove the...)
Quote:

No, never remove the bones - somehow to me all fish/meat cooked on the bone is much better. It can be a little pain in the rear, but oh so worth it to me.

I've learned it's sometimes better to not de-bone. Flavor is a major factor, of course. A second consideration is a mind set. If you de-bone, it looks boneless and people will treat it as such, meaning there are inevitably some tiny bones missed, and people aren't as cautious. When you get a bone in fish, you know they are there and you treat it accordingly.
Maryann, Picky is the same as Ron. No way can I serve him fish with bones

Jean, you really must write a book on smoking. Even though it's unlikely I'll be smoking here at home, so many others would appreciate your down to earth approach and then fact that you make it seem doable!! Great pics!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Good point, PJ, and so true. Much better to slow down and savor it anyway.

Jean, there's another great idea for a book.
Maryann

Re: Re: Smoked Trout/Fish - My Take by Mare749 (Good point, PJ, and ...)
Would I ever live long enough???? Thanks very much for the compliments. My apple chips are soaking as we speak for my lonely little trout....
www.achefsjourney.com