My recent trip
  Re: (...)
Here are some fresh chickens for sale. These are hens, so the orange globs you see (from large to tiny) are actually yolks in the chickens' ovaries. Chicken eggs start as tiny yolk sacs. As they leave the ovaries and continue developing, the yolks grow. Later, the whites are deposited around them and, even later, so is the material for the shells (which takes a little time to harden to what we're used to seeing). Thus, what you see in the picture eventually would have been the actual yolks inside shell-covered eggs and they can be used just as you would the egg yolks that you would take out of an egg.

[Image: 2bqh.jpg]

Here is some of the produce: apples and peaches are from America, but the papayas, plantains, strawberries, avocados and blackberries are all Guatemalan.

[Image: y8d5.jpg]

Loroco is the edible bud and flower of a type of vine native to Central America. It's not as common where I am, but I did try a store-bought, commercially packaged dip that contained it once and I didn't like it at all.

[Image: v1dt.jpg]

Still, some people have said that those dips are a terrible representation of the true taste of loroco. The woman in the following video scoffed at the store-bought dips, as well, and offered a few suggestions for using the fresh flowers. What she obviously liked the most, however (since she said it about three different times with just slight variation) was to chop it up very finely and toss it into a sauté pan (in one version, she also added finely chopped onions and tomatoes) with some cheese or cream cheese and a little bit of cream and then to use that mixture however desired - in tortillas, in empanadas, just on some rice, etc. It was funny because, as you can probably tell, the woman who was selling the loroco said very little and didn't offer many ideas, but this other woman (who obviously likes loroco) just jumped right in and was so excited to offer suggestions.

The video is at:

http://db.tt/tN3RC5nw

Remembering the stromboli I liked the last time (I know - something Italian like that in Guatemala? Who would have guessed?), I had one again on this trip. Here it is with the dipping sauce, some steamed vegetables (that I requested instead of a salad) and the papaya smoothie that I got as my drink. Delicious.

[Image: uyov.jpg]

Finally, I had been having a difficult time cutting Mimosa's hair and had only managed to get he back half done since she moved around too much. Even the people who have her brother had said she was impossible, but they tried again when I left here there while I was away and they managed to get it done. It's shorter than I would like, but that's because it had been so matted and the matting had to be cut off. Anyway, here she is now after the haircut, still looking as adorable as ever. She still has a little spot of motor oil visible on her head (since she likes to wander underneath a car that's parked just inside the gate) even after I gave her a bath.

[Image: lq8q.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: My recent trip by labradors (Here are some fresh ...)
Interesting - I remember showing the kids the different stages of developing eggs when we butchered chickens. They weren't impessed.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: My recent trip by labradors (Here are some fresh ...)
Interesting pictures. I am not sure about the egg yolk things, but then I was married for almost a year before I would prep a whole chicken. I'd just buy pieces.

Mimosa is adorable.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My recent trip by cjs (Interesting - I rem...)
Great pics, Labs! What is the fruit that is behind the plantains, some type of melon?

Nice looking lunch you had there. What did they put into the Stromboli? The smoothie looks delicious.

Almost forgot to tell you Mimosa looks adorable, even with short hair. My Charlie has the same type of coat and is also not easy to groom, so we have to do the same thing.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: My recent trip by Mare749 (Great pics, Labs! Wh...)
Thanks, everyone.

Maryann, those are papayas. The stromboli was the typical, Italian-meat one with salami, etc, and mozzarella. As I said: surprisingly good, given the location. It could just be a fluke that they happened to get it right, since I tried something else at the same restaurant, once, and wasn't impressed. It doesn't matter, though, since I'm VERY happy to have stromboli. Usually, it would have had a side salad, but you never know whether they use safe water for rinsing the lettuce down here, so I ordered steamed vegetables, instead (which I prefer, anyway).
  Re: Re: My recent trip by labradors (Thanks, everyone.[br...)
Funny you should mention that. I was sort of wondering how long it took for you to develop an immunity to where you live. I had a friend who lived in Peru for a few years and had to come back here because he had lost so much weight due to illnesses.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: My recent trip by labradors (Thanks, everyone.[br...)
I love these pictures! My grandmother had chickens and when she would pick one for dinner she often pulled the yolks out and used them for breakfast the next morning.

We would have scrambled eggs, with the addition of yolks from the chicken the night before with cow brains. I cannot believe I am alive today Although since living in Oregon I do get mad when I see cows

Mimosa is such an adorable looking pooch. And I love her short hair!
  Re: Re: My recent trip by DFen911 (I love these picture...)
Thanks for sharing, Rob. I loved the pictures. Mimosa is so cute.
Lola just got a haircut too, she's all fluffy now
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: My recent trip by DFen911 (I love these picture...)
Quote:

Although since living in Oregon I do get mad when I see cows

Okay. Everyone be careful not to get Mad-Cow Disease from Denise.

Seriously, Denise, thanks. It's interesting to see that something that would probably blow the minds of the "egg-white-only" people is SO fresh and natural that it could even be part of the "nose-to-tail" cooking movement. ROTFL!

Maryann, I don't know, but there MAY already be things that could eat with impunity, now. Still, there's a difference between bacteria and outright amoeba or giardia, and those last two are the main problems with improperly washed lettuce, rather than the bacteria. Fortunately, I have only had amoeba twice and Tinidazole is very effective in treating it (although it does make everything you eat taste like metal for the three days you take it). Once again, it's the "healthy" people ("I'll be HEALTHY - I'll just have a SALAD") who get confounded (and sick). LOL!