A new FAVORITE Mac & Cheese
  Re: (...)
I don't think I've posted this recipe. I don't even remember how or why I found it but I'm LOVING it. Monday I made it with a 1/4 cup of Buffalo sauce and some smoked chicken (and a bit of cream to finish it) with a crumb topping with blue cheese and fresh parsley. Thought process was "ranch dressing" and buffalo chicken. My guys think this is the best Mac & Cheese. I didn't use quite 3 cups of cheese (and I used a mix of cheeses).

Buttermilk Mac and Cheese

8 ounces dried macaroni or fusili, cooked according to package directions and drained
3 tbsp butter
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/3 cup bread crumbs

Grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish and preheat the oven to 375 F.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the buttermilk and milk and stir well. Turn up the heat slightly. Whisk in the flour and salt and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, garlic powder, and 3 cups of cheese. Stir until smooth.

Toss with the pasta, then pour into the casserole dish. Top with the remaining half cup of cheese and sprinkle bread crumbs over the cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes, then let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: A new FAVORITE Mac & Cheese by Harborwitch (I don't think I've p...)
Thanks, Sharon. It's always fun to try a new mac & cheese recipe. This sounds yummy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A new FAVORITE Mac & Cheese by Mare749 (Thanks, Sharon. It's...)
. . . and the buttermilk is healthier than cream!
  Re: Re: A new FAVORITE Mac & Cheese by Harborwitch (. . . and the butter...)
Drooling! Thanks so much! I will be trying this!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A new FAVORITE Mac & Cheese by Gourmet_Mom (Drooling! Thanks so...)
Hmm, sounds interesting. but almost a lb. of cheese to 8 oz. of pasta????? The artieries are just a gurgling....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A new FAVORITE Mac & Cheese by cjs (Hmm, sounds interest...)
I didn't use that much cheese, I didn't have that much cheese. It was still awfully good. I think the buttermilk kind of helps.