PLAIN, simple pancakes?
  Re: (...)
First of all, just let me say that one of the local supermarkets FINALLY got some Guinness back in stock, so I'll be trying out the Oatmeal Pancakes with Guinness Syrup recipe soon.

Meanwhile, however, my doctor friend has asked me for a pancake recipe that the family living with him would be able to cook.

Yes, I know, I know: "Uncle Wallace" is just yelling out to me, but *I* am not the one making these pancakes and that doctor friend doesn't want to have to try to find unusual (for here) ingredients (e.g. buttermilk) or to make otherwise "special" pancakes.

Given that, do any of you have a reliable, tested recipe for plain and simple pancakes that:
  • Do NOT contain buttermilk (nor rely upon soured milk)
  • Use all-purpose flour (i.e. NO whole-wheat flour, oatmeal, quinoa, potatoes, zucchini, etc., etc., etc.)
  • Do NOT use sourdough, yeast or whipped egg whites (just whole eggs)
  • Do NOT use applesauce, ricotta or other such additives, but are just plain, everyday pancakes that actually taste good despite all if the above restrictions?
Personally, I don't. I've made many different kinds of pancakes, but have always used buttermilk, buttermilk powder or soured milk if the pancakes were not somehow special in any other way (e.g. the phenomenal Banana Pancakes), so I'll need any help you can offer.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by labradors (First of all, just l...)
I can't help you - the only pancakes I make are, of course, Uncle Wallace's or a puff pancake.

I don't remember what all is in Sharon's (close 2nd to Uncle Wallaces.... ) has in them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by cjs (I can't help you - t...)
Sorry, Labs, we always use a box mix.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by Mare749 (Sorry, Labs, we alwa...)
I have a recipe for pancakes that would fit all the criteria except for the addition of pumpkin. My son loves them. Will have to make him some this weekend.

Those would be the only ones I've made from scratch.
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by Trixxee (I have a recipe for ...)
No help here either....Uncle Wallace fan here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by Gourmet_Mom (No help here either....)
Here's one I got online ages ago (may AllRecipes?):

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a w ll in
the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the
batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both
sides and serve hot.

Fast , easy and good!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by Lorraine (Here's one I got onl...)
Hey Labs,

I assume sour cream is out too right? if not let me know I have a great pancake recipe but it does contain sour cream.
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by piano226 (Hey Labs,[br][br]I a...)
A recipe with sour cream MAY work if Honduran crema is substituted. If you post it, I'll give it a try. Not sure if THEY will use it, but I'd be willing to try it.

The other ingredients I mentioned are either things he doesn't want or things that aren't easy to get here

When I'm done testing, I'll give a couple of recipes to the one who'll actually be doing the cooking and let her choose which she would like to make, based upon ingredients, complexity and difficulty, etc. She isn't a very experienced cook, but she seems to learn pretty well.

Lorraine, that recipe is similar to a few others I've seen, but since I know you've tried it, I'll use that as my first test. The main difference between that one and the others is that it uses melted butter in the batter. Since butter is so expensive here, relative to margarine, she would probably use margarine, but the local margarine tastes TERRIBLE, so I'm not sure he would like the resulting pancakes.

Even so, I have used margarine in a couple of things (e.g. pizzelles, Stove-Top stuffing, etc.) with good results, although I would NEVER spread it onto toast or use it on top of pancakes or waffles. I may have to try one batch with butter and one with margarine, just to see.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by labradors (A recipe with sour c...)
For butter or margarine, I would sub bacon fat or a lot of pork is used there isn't it? I'd add a little pork (of some kind) fat. Just a thought

I never use butter in pancakes - always bacon grease.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: PLAIN, simple pancakes? by cjs (For butter or margar...)
What about the same amount using vegetable oil or whatever they use for frying. Maybe add a pinch of salt, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."