Does anyone cook with charcoal?
  Re: (...)
Although we have a beautiful new gas grill, Ron has used the charcoal grill a lot this past year. He got hooked on the idea watching Steve Raichlen's Primal Grill.

Ron likes using lump charcoal and has been successful with saving the larger pieces to use again, as suggested on the bag. We also use a variety of wood chips for smoking.

The indirect method is so easy to do that even I can cook this way! (The grill has never been my friend) Since using this method puts a nice "light" smoke on the food, we have not been using the big smoker.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by Mare749 (Although we have a b...)
Had never used lump charcoal until I moved down here, but briquettes were not available until three or four years ago and I can't afford a gas grill, so I learned how to use the lump charcoal and now prefer it. It can be difficult to light, until you get the hang of it, but it's actually very easy with the little sticks of ocote (a type of pine) they include in the bags. Fire-starter bricks would also work well, or maybe a chimney starter. Whatever, just don't try to light it with just matches and newspaper or it will take you all day. As for gas grills: they can be nice for some things, but the lump charcoal is MUCH better.

What I'd really like to do, though, would be to experiment with the various wood-fire techniques from Francis Mallmann's Siete Fuegos (Seven Fires in English). Amazing stuff.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by Mare749 (Although we have a b...)
We don't have a gas grill, much to my chagrin. He uses the cheap stuff if all he is doing is dogs. He really likes the big lump charcoal, he says is it wood, kind of encased in charcoal. It burns really nicely, and he often adds some wood chips to it. Darn, were you asking a question, did I answer t??? oy
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by Lorraine (We don't have a gas ...)
I have not used anything except the gas grill since I got my first one. I did fight it for a few years and kept my weber to grill steaks, vowing I'd never use anything else... but like so many other times, I proved myself a liar.

I use the gas grill now for everything and I can get my gas grill close to hot enough for steaks, altho my favorite way now is a cast iron skillet on the gas stove for a quick sear on one side, turn over and put in a 450°F oven to finish.

Sorry, Labs - got carried away. Uh, the answer is no to lump charcoal anymore.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by cjs (I have not used anyt...)
I've never heard of it. But like Jean, I'm hooked on my gas grill.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by Gourmet_Mom (I've never heard of ...)
Sorry Maryann, for some reason your initial post didn't show up and I thought it was Lab's thread.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by cjs (Sorry Maryann, for s...)
I am really surprised that more of you don't cook with lump charcoal. We still use the gas grill sometimes, mostly for vegetables, but almost always use the grill/smoker for meat.

Labs, thanks for the book suggestion. I just ordered it from the library and if I like it, will purchase. During our camping days, Ron always cooked over a campfire and loved it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by Mare749 (I am really surprise...)
Never even heard of lump charcoal. Perhaps not a So. Cal. trend?
  Re: Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by Mare749 (I am really surprise...)
I use lump charcoal only. It's amazing. Slight smoky flavor on everything we cook. I don't like a heavy smoke flavor so this is a nice compromise. We have a kamado grill and it was one of the best cooking tools I've ever bought. Don't have the Big Green Egg but bought the one from Costco and love it. Very easy to light with either a starter or the waxy starter blocks. It keeps an even temperature for hours and you can reuse the leftover unburned lumps. Love it.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Does anyone cook with charcoal? by Dismc (I use lump charcoal ...)
I use to cook exclusively with charcoal. I only used the lump once, couldn't find it again after that. One thing up here was this summer has been so windy that using charcoal is a fire hazard. So having to use propane. I do love the flavor that charcoal imparts on food!