Duck - How Many Ways??
  Re: (...)
I'd like to be able to find all these again easily, so I'm combining the posts.

This one is from Sunday night's thread -

This was a 15 on a scale of 1 to 10 at least. Simple flavors that just work together. And, the Tobin James “5” was just a perfect match.

[Image: Sept9DuckwOlivesplated2_zps8edd86d6.jpg]

Duck with Tobin James “5” – (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Cab Franc & Malbec) – Bordeaux style
[Image: Sept9DuckwOlivesandTobinJames5_zps9d6b7a41.jpg]

Here's the recipe I used, if anyone is interested.

This is from Chowhound discussions:
Caroline1 Dec 31, 2009 12:02 PM
One of my all time favorite off-the-beaten-path duck recipes is from Henri Paul Pellaprat's "Everyday French Cooking," published way back in 1968. It's simply called "Duck with Olives," and I've been making it for 42 years now. Got a duck in the freezer waiting to meet up with some olives now. You’ll need:

Preheat oven to 450F
4 pound ready to cook duck
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp flour
¾ cup chicken stock
½ cup dry white wine (or 1/3 cup white vermouth)
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
2 dozen pitted black or green olives (I strongly prefer black Greek olives or Italian non-oil cured.
Canned California olives are not first choice, but if that’s all you can get, go for it.)
Parsley sprigs for garnish

Wash(?), dry and salt duck inside and out. Place in a roasting rack in bottom of a Dutch oven or you can use a standard roasting pan and tent tightly with aluminum foil later. I make three gashes on each side of the breast being very careful not to go all of the way through the fat; if your knife is really sharp and you can just cut through the skin, that’s perfect. The gashes look sort of like gills on a fish when done correctly. This will allow fat to render. Some pierce the skin, but I find that method seals up during cooking. But do whatever you’re comfortable with.

Roast UNCOVERED in the very hot 450F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until duck has browned. I do NOT recommend convection for this recipe.

Remove duck from oven and place on a plate or platter. Drain rendered duck fat from pan and return 2 Tbsp of fat to pan. (And for heaven’s sake, DO NOT throw away the duck fat! It’s great for frying potatoes or using to make a great mock pate foi gras using chicken livers.)

Add flour over medium heat and stir to golden brown roux stage. Add stock and wine and stir until sauce has thickened. Add chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Return duck to Dutch oven with sauce, cover tightly and roast an hour or until tender.

While duck finishes roasting, simmer the olives in water to cover for five minutes to remove saltiness, drain well. When duck is tender, remove from oven, add olives to sauce. Transfer duck to a warmed platter and pour the sauce over it. Garnish with sprigs of parsley.

The original recipe says it serves four, but if you’re cooking for four people who love duck, roast two ducks!

Her notes:
There is something magic about roast duck and black olives together that is pure magic! I keep promising myself to give it a try with good green olives, but then I remember how fantastic it is with black olives and then I promise myself to use green olives next time. Oh, well. Maybe some day. As for what to drink, unless I use vermouth for the wine, I serve whatever dry white I’ve used to cook the duck. And hey, it’s not bad with brut champagne for cooking and drinking. Been there, done that and Happy New Year!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by cjs (I'd like to be able ...)
Here's today's dinner - very good tacos.

I started the veggies out in the cast iron skillet to char, but decided I didn't like what it was doing to the surface of my skillet, so switched and put them under the broiler. Worked great.
[Image: Sept10Blackeningveggiesfortacos_zps67f1e474.jpg]

[Image: Sept10DuckTacosopen_zpsadaabcce.jpg]

[Image: Sept10DuckTacos1_zps78d8ad3e.jpg]

Duck Tacos – Sept. 10, 2013

Duck Tacos

This is a take off of Chef José Andrés’ Asian duck tacos. I worked with the salsa and was going to sprinkle the duck with 5-spice and soy before heating for filling the tacos, but forgot!! But, it’s the salsa that is really the star with the duck. I’ll do it again with the correct seasoning on the duck pieces. I had approx. 6 oz. of duck pieces and this was enough for 4 tacos. NOTE: When duck is not available, use leftover chicken, pork or beef.

For the Salsa:
1 large poblano
1/2 lb plum tomatoes
1/4 lb tomatillos, husked
1 large garlic clove, unpeeled
Pinch red chili flakes
1 large scallion or 5 green onions, chopped
2 tsp fresh lime juice
Salt and a pinch of sugar
-------
For duck filling:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
4 corn tortillas, warmed
Cilantro sprigs, for serving (since my cilantro is frozen and not pretty for garnish, I chopped the frozen up and added to the salsa – about 1/4 cup)

Roast the poblano directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred. Let cool. Peel, seed and chop the poblano.

Preheat oven broiler until hot. For easy clean up, line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Put tomatoes, tomatillos and garlic and put under broil. Broil turning the vegetables a couple of times until charred. Peel the garlic; transfer to a food processor. Add the tomatoes, tomatillos, poblano, red pepper flakes and scallion (or green onion) and pulse until chunky. Add the lime juice and season the salsa with salt and just a little sugar.

Shred the duck meat. Put in a small baking dish and combine with the soy sauce and five-spice powder. Heat in a small skillet stovetop; in a small baking dish in the oven; or, heat quickly in a microwave oven just until heated through.

Serve the tortillas with the salsa, duck, and cilantro.

-------------
The salsa is wonderful!! I'll probably make this one for a lot of different tacos.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by cjs (Here's today's dinne...)
You could always do one of my favourites from when I worked at Wolfgang's: Barbecue Duck Quesadillas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by labradors (You could always do ...)
Crap! don't know how far I can make this duck(s) go....

I have made quesadillas - can't remember what I did tho.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by cjs (Crap! don't know how...)
Sure wish that Ron liked duck as much as I do, but sadly, he just isn't a huge fan. Oh, he will eat it, of course, but it's not something he will ask for. Your dishes look delicious, Jean. Does someone you know go hunting, or did you buy them?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by Mare749 (Sure wish that Ron l...)
No, darn it - no hunters in the family anymore. We have to buy them.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by cjs (No, darn it - no hun...)
What about the Peking Duck? Love that one!
  Re: Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by DFen911 (What about the Pekin...)
I can post that one if anyone wants, but I'm just posting the new ones I'm making with these 'guys' - fun.

Yesterday, I also made duck and hoisin pizza - and it was also delicious.

Spread crust with hoisin topped with Mozz, duck, Parm, black pepper.

[Image: Sept10DuckHoisinPizza_zpseb22cd21.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by cjs (I'd like to be able ...)
Duly noted and saved. Thanks Jean!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Duck - How Many Ways?? by BarbaraS (Duly noted and saved...)
Goodness! You're on a roll Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.