O.T. Recipe Testing????
  Re: (...)
Have a favor to ask - for those who like steak, mushrooms and anchovies - don't worry I'm not a big fan either, but I do like the flavor they give some dishes. And, this is one of them. Either way you use this topping, it is an easy and fast combination to make on the road or at home.

If any of you would be so kind as to test this recipe out and be brutally honest in your critique, please, it would be so appreciated.

------
This is how it will be in the ebook -

Mushroom & Anchovy Topping

[Image: Sept14MushroomAnchovySteak_zps17ab046f.jpg]

The uses for these mushrooms are countless - I love them topping a grilled steak; but also, as a topping for bruschetta. Smear the anchovy butter over toasted bread rounds and pile the mushrooms on top and you have an earthy appetizer.

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon anchovy paste (take the side of a knife and smoosh the anchovy into a paste)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, your favorites
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Blend 2 tablespoons butter and anchovy paste; set aside.

Melt remaining butter in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and toss until lightly browned and the flavors are released, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

[Image: Septm14MushroomAnchovySteakreadytogrill_zpsefad817b.jpg]

For the steak, one option is to spread anchovy butter over the steak and sprinkle with salt and lots of black pepper 1/2 hour before cooking the steak; or option two, spoon a round of the butter mixture over the just cooked steak and then top with mushrooms. Grind a healthy amount of freshly ground pepper over all.

---------

Thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by cjs (Have a favor to ask ...)
When do you need an answer? I'd love to try it, but probably won't get to it for about two weeks.

Sounds like an awesome umami bomb.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by labradors (When do you need an ...)
Are you kidding?!?!? How to decide? Before or after cooking? Tough challenge, Jean! Okay, I'll do it both ways, but if this experiment leads to matrimonial discord due to fighting over a steak, I hold you responsible!

Wait, we are going to the mountains next weekend! Two more tasters! Parents get the best application because they will be paying! Problem solved! LOL! Let you know!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by Gourmet_Mom (Are you kidding?!?!?...)
That's fine time wise, Labs - would love for you to try it AND of course all of you, Daphne! Thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by cjs (That's fine time wis...)
Well, I LOVE mushrooms, but I didn't used to like anchovies (except in Worcestershire sauce, of course). Eventually, I started liking Caesar salad, then Asian food with fish sauce (fermented anchovies) and finally tried the suggestions that said to add an anchovy to beef stew. I'm still not a fan of anchovies on pizza, but combining them with things such as what you want tested can be phenomenal. Even just ten years ago I wouldn't have touched this with a ten-foot pole, but now I'm very interested in trying it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by labradors (Well, I LOVE mushroo...)
We will be happy to try this. I love using anchovies in many different dishes although I'm don't get excited about putting them on pizza.

There are a lot of recipes in The Silver Spoon that call for anchovies, the same way the Vietnamese and others use fish sauce. Your sauce would taste good on any vegetable.

We will most likely use your recipe after the steak is cooked because butter burns so fast. Have you tried this recipe with olive oil?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by Mare749 (We will be happy to ...)
No, haven't tried with the olive oil. Thanks everyone for being so receptive to trying this one!

P.s. thinking about it, I probably would not use any oil/butter on the steak if I were going to use the Anchovy butter for a garnish. That's how I normally do steaks - just S&P.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by cjs (No, haven't tried wi...)
I've got this down for dinner on Tuesday.
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by losblanos1 (I've got this down f...)
Oh good! Thanks. Pictures please...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: O.T. Recipe Testing???? by cjs (Oh good! Thanks. [im...)
We will have it this week also. Don't know which day yet. Have to watch the weather.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."